NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My try at Jupiter

Hi, I`m Mark and have been using this site for a few weeks now. Took my first images of Jupiter on Monday night about 10pm. The seeing was not too bad. I was fighting a constant battle with dew with my wifes hairdryer:).

I used my 200mm helios reflector and a philips toucam fun.

Have put the frames through registax and the results are as follows.

Any feedback would be appreciated as would recommendations for improvements that i could make. I have tried not to tweak the images too much.

These are my first images so i am happy that they have turned out ok but having read through the forums on here i feel i could acheive better.

jup 1.bmp

jup2.bmp

jup3.bmp

jup4.bmp

Not at all bad for a first effort!

Try increasing the exposure ... the brightest parts of the image should be reasonably close to saturating the sensor.

Try shooting more frames ... so you can stack more, this will reduce the noise in the image. This in turn will help you increase the aggressiveness of the wavelets settings without the result degenerating into "sandpaper".

Keep trying, hold on to what works well & experiment to improve the areas that could be improved. One change at a time so you know what the effect of the change is! Make nots & review them before the next session.

Thanks Brian. I did wonder how many frames i should make. I think it was about 800 frames for each picture. Maybe next time i will make more frames as you suggest. All trial and error at the moment but am enjoying it.

Hi Oldfruit,

These are actualy very cool pics, especially as a first atempt. These are much, much better than my first try. There is a lot of great advice on this site that really helped me get my results better at each attempt. I don't know what settings you used but try a low frame rate of around 10fps, a 2X Barlow really helps with the detail and definately more frames. (My best result so far was about 2000 frames which ended up with about 1600 good useable ones). There is a brilliant 'How to' on this site regarding camera settings and it is fairly easy to find tutorials on the 'interweb' for any version of Registax, but it looks like you've done well anyway.

Congratulations... the only problem is, that with clearer nights on the way, you will now be hooked so be prepared for lots of late nights and small bouts of hypothermia.

Regards Tony

i thought for a first attempt they were some what superb! i'd be happy to see it that clear let alone get a picture to keep! and with as a first attemp cant wait to see the next!

Tips hat at first attemp...

Thanks all for you kind comments and advice. After the first attempt i think that the bug has bitten as i am already set up for some follow on shots tonight. Will post the next ones and hope they improve. Thanks again to all.

Archived