Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a night

martin_h

Ever had one of those nights where you want to chuck it all in?

I got a new scope last week and tonight was the first go with it.

I got the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro and sorting it out was a nightmare, the focuser slips so bad its a joke. Got a reducer, filterwheel and camera on the back and any angle above horizontal the focuser just unwinds and slides out, so getting focus took an hour tonight. Then a filter misted up, then the CCD chip froze! then the clouds came in, then I gave up:mad:

Yep. I know what you mean. I've had nights where I can't align the scope, can't get the autoguider to work just can't do anything - then I bash my head on the counterweight arm and stomp off in a strop. :o

Does the focuser have any tension adjustment screws? Focus lock?

I hope it goes better next time out. :)

It's one of the reasons I prefer to just do observing as the more there is to set up, the more chance there will be that at least one of the toys is going to play silly buggers!

I hope it works out better for you next time Martin and look forward to seeing the images.

Clear skies

James

Martin,

if it wasn`t for bad luck you`d have no luck at all. :o

Not to add insult to injury but the last few nights have been great. No moon till i`ve called it a day and relatively good seeing conditions too. Stick with it and you`ll get a result i`m sure.

ATB

will.

Yep, dont know if you saw my post but I forgot to leave any slack on my EQMOD cable and I ripped the socket out of my NEQ6 and then my neighbour flooded the garden with 1000W of daylight.

On the DS-Pro just below the focuser lock screw there is a small grub screw which is used to add or remove tension to the focuser, if you tighten it up it will prevent any slipping. I had the same with my Equinox, just kept slipping out whenver the damn thing wasnt level. Had to tighten it up quite a bit as my reducer, filter wheel and camera put quite a bit on that focuser.

Hope you get the other bits sorted out though.

I'm off for a chat with the neighbour in the morning to see if she has any spare d-sub 9pin sockets.......and an off switch.... :o

Archived