Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The dissapearance of Jupiter's southern belt

Jamie

I suppose anything is possible Jamie. There doesn't appear to be any positive answer as to why this phenomena occurs. It seems to be a regular event, which might imply an internal catalyst.

Myself, I think it is connected to that giant, and almost perpetual storm known as you know what. That big red smudge is a mighty powerful beastie.:o

Ron.:)

Possible, yes. Likely, in my opinion, no ... the major impacts of SL/9 and last year's Bird Strike didn't cause distruption outside the immediate areas affected; in any case, Jupiter's atmosphere is a complex chaotic place, and the apparent disappearance of the SEB may be nothing more than a thin cloud covering ...

I don't suppose the main satellites could influence this, although it would have been sussed long before now, if that was the case.

A cumulative gravity effect when they are positioned to so provide this. I know, Still a puny power considering the might of Jupiter's pull.

I don't suppose the main satellites could influence this, although it would have been sussed long before now, if that was the case.

A cumulative gravity effect when they are positioned to so provide this. I know, Still a puny power considering the might of Jupiter's pull.

Yes it many be puny but still worth considering especially given the complexity of Jupiters climate and satellites. I think it's more likely to have an effect than an impact.

I don't think it is very likely that the SEB disappearance is due to an impact. Jupiter is well known for such vanishing tricks, and this behavior is listed as a SEB Revival. Since the early 1900s it is the case that the SEB fades away for a while. During this time the GRS becomes very dark and prominent as it is now. After a few years, a number of white spots appear in the SEB along with a South Tropical Disturbance and the whole belt dramatically re-appears.

The current SEB is following the usual observed course, although whether the SEB revival occurs soon, or when Jupiter is on the far side of the sun, no one can tell. At the time of writing, I have not seen any evidence that the revival has started. I agree with John Rogers of the BAA Jupiter section (and a big Jupiter authority) though that we are due for a dramatic revival.

Archived