Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Want a new focuser and eyepieces for my skywatcher 200.

I have had my 200 for a few months now, and am looking to upgrade the focuser and purchase 2 quality eye pieces. I have several Meade plossl's but am looking for something better and a suitable focuser with fine touch controls. My budget for the lot will be no more than a couple of hundred pounds. Any advice?

the revelation dual speed it excellent - it's £89 from Relescope House. I have the Antares version but they are the same and high quality. you will probably need a 50mm extension to reach focus.

what is is about your current eyepieces you don't like? this may affect the advice as to which EPs will be most suited. do you have a preference for observing? eg if you prefer planetary / lunar / doubles than the recommendation would be different to if you prefer widefield and large clusters etc.

I have had 500x plus with my 12" dob and the Nagler zoom on the moon in good seeing conditions. not too bad tracking either really. usually though for other targets eg Jupiter has been around the 150x mark and possibly 200x occasionally.

I have the Antares branded version of the Revelation dual-speed crayford. I find it a joy to use and that 10:1 knob works brilliantly at 200x to get crisp focus with minimal shaking of the 'scope. One thing I have found though is that the focus travel is only 30mm which doesn't provide enough out-focus for some eyepieces (SW modified achromats) . With the 50mm extension it doesn't have enough in-focus either. This led me to purchase a 28mm 1.25" extension which fills the gap in focus of around 20mm nicely.

Other than that, it is a great budget focuser and so much better than the stock rack and pinion that was on my 'Skywatcher dob before.

it's weird how even though I use only TV EPs, they vary a lot in how much out focus they need. all but the Ethos work fine with the 50mm extension but the Ethos is still short. I found that a 28mm Baader tuning ring screwed on the end provided the required additional outfocus for that one EP.

the revelation dual speed it excellent - it's £89 from Relescope House. I have the Antares version but they are the same and high quality. you will probably need a 50mm extension to reach focus.

what is is about your current eyepieces you don't like? this may affect the advice as to which EPs will be most suited. do you have a preference for observing? eg if you prefer planetary / lunar / doubles than the recommendation would be different to if you prefer widefield and large clusters etc.

I want a decent dual speed focuser, the EP's I want are for DSO's. Looking at globular and open clusters. So decent widefield within budget. What are your recommendations bud?

I did of course mean 'Telescope House' re the focuser!

so assuming you pay the £90 for that it leaves £110 for the remainder?

I am completely Televue biased so bear this in mind when reading the following :o

you could do worse than the 32mm Plossl eg U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

but if you have a 32mm Meade and a 25mm at the minute you might consider maybe an 18mm Radian which often go for about 100 used.

alternatively a Skywatcher Nirvana which again can be had for about the same sort of dough. I'd recommend that assuming you have a selection of EPs that are at least useable currently, rather than trying to buy too many, buy the focuser (highly recommended) and then one that does something you don't currently have. what is the range (i.e. what focal length EPs) you currently have? this will possibly affect the advice you'll need. if you don't have a Telrad type finder this may also increase your viewing pleasure etc more than other EPs.

cheers

Shane

I have a 25, 20, 10 and a 6mm set of plossl EP's, that are all quite serviceable. I might be inclined to just buy a single additional eyepiece along with the focuser. What do people think of the dual speed crayford that skywatcher do as a direct replacement for my crappy single?

do you mean this one (see post #21 http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97917-dob-has-landed.html)

if so I really like it. personally though I prefer the Antares one.

based on what you have I'd say a good quality Barlow (eg the 2x Tal on the FLO site) and eg the 32mm TV plossl would be great additions to your set.

Archived