Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax XO

How much do you like eye relief?

The XOs are, by almost all accounts pretty much as good as it gets for planetary viewing. I've used one, but found it too uncomfortable for extended viewing - so, personally, i'd trade the last few percentage points in performance for comfort and buy an XW instead. No sense in paying big money for an eyepiece you don't like to use.

But if you don't mind tight eye relief I can see the attraction. One to try before you buy, if at all possible.

Cheers Ben

When I get my 8mm Televue plossl I will find out. If that is comfortable then I think I should be able to handle it I think.

If I buy and I don't like it you can always send it back under the distance selling regs anyway I think.

I went thorough this process.

I have a Baader 5mm Ortho, you have to push your eye right up to the front lens. The Pentax XO will be similar. I do not find it comfortable for long term viewing. So I bought a 5mm XW - just as sharp and very comfortable.

The XO will give the best view possible but will only be a fraction better than a Baader Ortho or the Pentax XW.

Archived