NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My scope

Astrokev

Here's a picture of my current scope - 10" f6.3 as detailed in my signature below.

This is an old picture taken after I'd given the scope an overhaul - complete strip down and re-painting of the painted bits, and greasing of the greasy bits.

The mount is really solid but the drive is not quite up to the demands of modern imaging. I'm therefore considering upgrading to an EQ6 or similar, and maybe even a different OTA. Until then, this is my current kit.

Also have ideas to build a ROR Obs....watch this space.

Kevin

post-19542-133877488483_thumb.jpg

Great looking scope and mount Kevin :o

F/6.3 Hinds mirrors would be a really nice from their reputation I reckon.

I bought a few bits an bobs from Phil way back when - he seemed a really helpful guy.

Certainly knows how to engineer a mount by the look of it !.

Thats a really beautiful scope and mount - tell us more about its history/build.

I bought the optics in the late 70's from Fullerscopes. After a few self-built tube assemblies to house these on a Dob mount, in the late 80's I decided I needed to upgrade to an equatorial.

Phil Stone was running his Superscopes company at the time, which was local to me. In addition to the mount, he made the tube and re-housed my existing optics. Beautiful job too! That's about it.

The mount is really solid and will carry much larger tubes but, for imaging, the drive sadly cannot compare with some of the top-end drives currently available, although it's fine for visual use. I'm therefore considering upgrading again to an EQ6 mount in the forseeable future.

Not sure I could bear to part with Phil's mount though; it's a lovely piece of engineering.

Kevin

Is it Grab and Go??

Looks like a real beast, bet the views are worth it though and also a great conversation piece.

Regards

Not sure what you mean by grab and go, but I can say that the mount alone weighs a ton and needs to be moved in 3 pieces.

Regarding being a conversation piece, I did get a few complaints from the family - it seems they couldn't see the TV from the sofa. It now resides in the shed!

I was moving the scope this afternoon to a different shed and thought I'd weigh it, for interest. This was also partly so I can check whether the OTA could be tolerated on an EQ6 mount. So, here are the stats -

Stand 9.5kg

Equatorial head 26.4kg

Counterweight 12.0kg

OTA 15.6kg

Nearly 48kg excluding the OTA! Now I know why I get back-ache when I try and move it!

Kevin

Archived