Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, 01 Oct, with 4.3" aperture

brianb

Seeing was bad last night & there was a nasty wind, the CPC1100 wasn't performing very well so I decided to have a go at imaging Jupiter with my FLT 110. Quite surprised by how well it went; the seeing distortions were around 1/10 of Jupiter's diameter even with thie small scope!

Jupiter-101001-2344-FLTX4-composite.jpg

Wind S force 3-4 gusting 5. Temperature 8C.

Note Io's shadow at the left of the disk; Io is just visible as a tiny spot just to the right of the shadow, light in the RRGB and red images and dark in the blue image. Callisto is faintly visible below the planet's south pole.

Here's a standalone IR image:

Jupiter-101001-235542-Ionly-FLTX4.jpg

2010 Oct 01, 2355 UT. CM1 300°, CM2 198°. Dia 49.7", alt 32.0°.

FLT 110, 4x Imagemage, Astronomik Planet Pro 742 IR pass filter, DMK21.

Environmental conditions as composite above.

Infra red is difficult with such a small aperture, I had to increase the exposure time and the gain & shoot 3 minutes of AVI to get enough frames to get a reasonable stack.

Thanks guys!

Here's another set made a few minutes later than the first. This time I did try IR but the quality is poor due to the small number of frames available in the short time frame. Even so, there's a very noticeable movement of Io's shadow...

Jupiter-101001-2350-FLTX4-composite.jpg

I have some AVIs I shot with the CPC1100 as well. It's a challenge to process them but I hope to manage to drag out something usable, despite the conditions.

Archived