NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portable Telescope

:D

Hi,

I wanted some advice on getting a portable telescope. I already have a C6-N but am too lazy to set it up and carry it to a dark site.

I was considering a Skywatcher Startravel 80 on an EQ1. Is it worth getting ?

I would like to use it for both deepsky and planetary work.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

For deep-sky you need aperture and for planets you need focal length - the Startravel 80 lacks both.

I suggest you stick with your C6-N. Wrap the tripod/mount in a blanket and put it in the car boot; lay your OTA (also in a blanket) across the back-seat and secure it with a seat-belt and a couple of cushions.

Some people make up a dobsonian mount and stick their newtonain OTA on that when they don't feel like setting up an equatorial - there are plenty of simple dob designs on the net and you could make the whole mount for much less than the cost of an ST80.

John.

That CAN be motorised with an EQ platform, but to be honest the platform would cost twice as much as the 'scope. They are not suited to any sort of photography that is long exposure so DSO stuff is out. For webcamming the moon and planets you can just about use them but an EQ mount is better for photography. The dobs reason for existence is purely visual as basic as you can get it, and in that it works great. For anything more complex you want an EQ mount

IMO

I bought a Celestron 102SLT to take away with me on my breaks into the country side. Its light, easy to assemble ( 1 minute) and fun. It has Goto and gives super, crisp viewing. Planets are a little small but with a barlow this is no problem. 2 EPs 26 and 9mm. Price: £245.00

Archived