Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with Io & Europa

BlueAstra

Had another go at Jupiter last night. Unfortunately it was pretty cloudy, but managed to get two RGB sequences during the evening. Rest of the time spend playing with the DMK doing armchair astronomy, moving the scope with EQMOD and viewing the stars with the DMK on my remote laptop. Makes quite a good single shot long exposure camera. Could put it on the wide FOV scope while using the C8 and 1000d/lodestar guider. I wonder if the USB hub could handle all that data?

C8 SCT & Mono DMK & O/Star RGB filters. No barlow.

post-16060-133877487877_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have tried it with a x2 barlow here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/115265-jupiter-io.html

I find with the barlow that the image is alway slightly fuzzier. I never seem to be able get get a good focus ( or maybe its just the seeing in my city area). However last night I tried a new technique (for me) of pointing the C8+DMK at a bright star, using a focussing mask to get focus with the long exposure mode of the camera, then moving back to Jupiter. This seemed to work better, since I've never got the moons before, and the image looked fairly sharp (I assume stars and Jupiter are both at infinity!).

Can concur wholeheartedly Blue with your experience with the barlow. Jupiter nice and sharp without and despite judicious focussing attempts fuzzy with the barlow. That`s a lovely image however.

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived