NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WO FLT110 + WO ZS66 on a HEQ5 ?

Just wondering whether a HEQ5 mount would be able to handle a William Optics FLT110 plus a ZS66 acting as a guidescope for imaging purposes?

According to the specifications, the FLT110 is around 6kg, the ZS66 is 1.6kg plus I'd have to factor in the guidescope rings, tube rings, dovetail plate/s and the camera of course.

So far I have the mount and the ZS66 and am looking around for a small-ish refractor to go with it.

Hi Pilkinn i would`nt class the w/o 110flt as a "small-ish "scope, by the time you get a diagonal a decent 2"lens and perhaps a 2"barlow,finder etc you have pushed the heq5 past its comfortable zone,you then have to be critical in all aspects of your setup balance et al,hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Well...maybe. One member uses a Meade 127 on an HEQ5 for imaging and I think Fay uses an ED120 on her HEQ5 also for imaging. More mount is always better than less mount, though. The focal length of the 110 is not too long which also matters. If you dont't want tp upgrade to a bigger mount a smaller, shorter focal length refractor might be a safer bet but out of the wind I think you'd have a fighting chance.

Do you really need guide rings? If you use a sensitive guide camera (I use Atik 16ics) you should reliably find a star in the field. If you have a rigid mounting for the 66 but one which maybe allowed you to move it right and left in extremis then you could cut that wieght down and, more importantly, mount it closer to the main scope.

Olly

Well...maybe. One member uses a Meade 127 on an HEQ5 for imaging and I think Fay uses an ED120 on her HEQ5 also for imaging. More mount is always better than less mount, though. The focal length of the 110 is not too long which also matters. If you dont't want tp upgrade to a bigger mount a smaller, shorter focal length refractor might be a safer bet but out of the wind I think you'd have a fighting chance.

Do you really need guide rings? If you use a sensitive guide camera (I use Atik 16ics) you should reliably find a star in the field. If you have a rigid mounting for the 66 but one which maybe allowed you to move it right and left in extremis then you could cut that wieght down and, more importantly, mount it closer to the main scope.

I'd go along with Olly's assesment. My original setup was a ZS66 combined with a ZS110 which is almost the same as the FLT and it was well within my EQ6's capability. And no, guiderings are not necessary at all, I've always managed to find a guide star without a set.

Tony..

If you can afford the EQ6 Pro then go for it. So many second hand HEQ5's come up because so many people upgrade (sometimes quickly) to an EQ6 Pro.

The HEQ5 is a great mount and as Olly says it would just about handle what you plan to use, but you may decide to upgrade when you find you struggle to image in a breeze.

The other option is to pick up a second hand HEQ5 and if it works out you'll have money left over, if it struggles to carry your setup then you'll prbably get back what you paid for it if you upgrade at a later date.

Good luck and clear skies with whatever you end up going for :icon_salut:

Ian

If your budget can stretch to one and you want to keep the HEQ5, why not go for a FLT98? Certainly lighter and shorter than the 110. I had one and loved it, I only got rid of it because I had to :(. Alternatively there's the Megrez 90, SW ED80, Meade 80mm triplet.... Lots of choices :icon_salut:.

Tony..

The other option is to pick up a second hand HEQ5 and if it works out you'll have money left over, if it struggles to carry your setup then you'll prbably get back what you paid for it if you upgrade at a later date.

Hi Ian. Actually I bought the HEQ5 second hand just recently - before getting a scope to put on it - it was just one of those things that when you're looking around things don't neccessarily come up in the right order. I then saw a FLT110 for sale and although it was bigger than what I was looking for it seemed a good deal. However there's no point getting it and then having to upgrade the mount so soon.

So I think I may carry on with my search for a smaller scope in the 90-100mm range.

Archived