Problem with the Morgan Philips SPC880 ????

I`ve lurked here for a little while and recently took the plunge to buy the Morgan Computers SPC880 webcam after seeing the posts about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Got it today, but could not get the drivers I downloaded from the Morgan site to be recognised by the cam (tried on 3 XPpro computers), so rang Morgan who could offer no help other than a returns ref to get my money back!

Decided to try the SPC900 drivers from the Philips site and guess what! The camera was immediately recognised as a 900 and everything works wonderfully. I presume I don`t need to flash it now.

Have they sourced some more which are already to 900 spec? - the people there obviously don`t know!

If you get one and have the same problem, try it.

Thanks for ident difference Beamish. The cam has NO buttons on the side, so it is an 880 (or WAS).

The packaging and look of the camera was "as new" when I first opened it, but the thought did cross my mind. However, if that were the case, I`m surprised that it was returned as it works perfectly as far as I`m concerned and is the steal of the year for anybody interested in astro imaging.

Still, who cares, it all seems to work and I`ve got all the facilities I need without going through the extra step. Now, where`s the clear skies.....?

As an addendum to this post, can anybody suggest a shakeproof way of focusing my Orion starmax127. It is bad enough for manual observation, but with the webcam on it does a breakdance every time I touch it.!

Archived