Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's arrived - or rather I picked it up

earth titan

12" lightbridge is now in my grubby little mitts.

2nd hand off flea bay, and looks like a busy few evenings getting it sorted.

Turned the mirror colling fan on to test it and discovered where the previous owner had been keeping all the fur from the family dogs. Therefore the primary will now need a good clean which will be a treat for me as a mirror cleaning virgin.

Will post progress as I go and stick a few piccies up.

Took the mirror cell out this evening. Filthy was not the word for it! It lierally had hairs stuck to it and lumps of what looked like paint.

Following all the very fine advice on these forums I have very carefully cleaned it with gentle solution, cotton wool buds and rinsed very carefully.

A close examination once clean shows mirror has two minor marks on whick looks like pitting and a few very fine miniscule scratches, which only show up under very bright and acutely angled light.

I'm hoping neither of these impact the optics too much - will have to wait until the clouds lift.

Reassemled it and colimated it. Cheshire and laser both agree although the secondary needed a bit of tweeking, the primary was fine.

Just need better weather.

Tis the problem with buying of E-Bay. The price was good, in my opinion, but then everyone has their own ideas of what a good price is.

I guess I want it to be like new and am prepared to put some time and effort into it, to get it back to that status. The marks are very superficial, but only first light will tell.

Archived