NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where from here?

Hi all,

After my first evenings successful viewing I thought I'd ask "where do I go from here"? This question relates to kit/accessories.

Currently I have a Bresser Messier 130mm Reflector on a GEQ mount.

Some of these questions may seem premature after only one nights viewing, but I'm about to start a course in Astronomy with the Open University. If the first part goes well then I'll be looking at completing the degree; I'd like to cost up / plan for any possible wants/needs.

the Bresserwas given to me and to be honest I know nothing about scopes. I wasn't sure whether or not it was any good and so was looking at a Meade DS2080.

As I understand it the Bresser is better due to its aperture of 5" vs the Meade which is 3"? However, I've got some experience so guess it depends on what it is you want to look at; I assume it's all about capturing a greater amount of light?

If so would the Meade still be a good option for viewing the moon, planets and other bright objects? I'm still drawn to this scope due to its tracking and size.

If the above is correct then the Bresser should be more capable at viewing more distant 'dull' objects?

I'd like to get some form of tracking/motorised 'GOTO' system for the Bresser. Any recommendations?

I also found the viewing very bright and fairly harsh on my eyes. I assume I should possibly look at some form of filters?

I currently have bog standard 10, 15 and 25mm eye pieces with a 2X whatsit. Should I look at expanding this or are these adequate?

What general items should I look at getting. I mean this in terms of is there a basic tool kit of items one should look at putting together?

Last but not least comes photography but I'll ask those questions in the Photography bit.

Thanks

Martin

My advice would be take your time with the telescope that you have and use as often as you can to learn the sky and get a good feel of how to use your telescope.

The first few items I would buy are:-

A star atlas

A Neutral Density or Dark Green filter for the moon

10x50 Binoculars, these are good for wide views and will help with finding faint DSO's

A motor drive for your mount if you are going to keep it.

Yes, the filters connect to the EPs. The brightness of an object can also be moderated by using a higher magnification.

I also found Jupiter uncomfortably bright at first (me newbie too) but with some experience I can now gaze at it as long as I like and I only wish the image at maximum magnification was a bit brighter! On the other hand your telescope collects nearly twice as much light as mine and I am using higher magnifications.

The reflector not only gathers more light, it can also resolve finer detail (the resolution of a telescope goes up proportional to the aperture). I think you will get fringes of color around the planets with the Meade at higher magnifications because it is an achromatic refractor. So the reflector should be better on planets as well as on deep sky.

You can buy a new mount for your telescope, such as one with GOTO. Have a look on the FLO website. You can take your pick between lighter alt-az mounts and more versatile equatorial mounts.

What is recommended for your Course?

I would be surprised if what you have turned out to be unacceptable though.

A Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter - Light Pollution Reduction - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter - is very nice to have, even if you don't have light pollution.

A red led torch/head light is pretty indispensible.

A Cheshire collimator?

Some thermals . . . :icon_salut:

eta: I get on well with polarising filters too. I use two separate ones, so one can go on the diagonal, and the other can go on the eyepiece - then just rotate the eyepiece to get the degree of light reduction you need (I do have particularly sensitive eyes though, and it may not be of such use to you).

Archived