Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding Advice

Ok guys, here goes nothing....helpppppp :)

I have about £300-400 to spend and Im thinking of maybe getting into autoguiding to improve my AP so Im after any advice that guiders amongst us may have.

I do have a cheap 4" Celestron scope lying around which I could use in conjunction with a guide camera but I would also appreciate any info on whether I can attach a guide camera to my nikon lenses.

I Plan to guide when doing prime focus AP and when doing wide-field with just my camera mounted to the mount.

Also am I right in thinking a guider has to run through a pc? - I am a little hazy on the exact connections required.

I have seen the skywatcher synguider which looks good but Im open to any suggestions.

TIA for any advice offered and apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search but yiedled nothing.

I do have a cheap 4" Celestron scope lying around which I could use in conjunction with a guide camera but I would also appreciate any info on whether I can attach a guide camera to my nikon lenses.
The 4" Celestron would be ideal. The Nikon lenses less so as you could do with a reasonable focal length for autoguiding - 400 mm upwards would be good
I Plan to guide when doing prime focus AP and when doing wide-field with just my camera mounted to the mount.
Both would be fine.
Also am I right in thinking a guider has to run through a pc? - I am a little hazy on the exact connections required.
Most do require connection to a PC but the LVI Autoguider/Orion Solitaire and the SW SynGuider are stand alone devices and do not require a PC.
I have seen the skywatcher synguider which looks good but Im open to any suggestions.
See above but I have tested one of these and was very impressed but I still prefer the flexibility of a PC controlled guider. If you absolutely do not want a PC outside with you then the SW SynGuider is the better stand alone device.

Nice one Steve, I appreciate your input.

With regards to the Nikon Lenses I do have a 400mm prime which should be suitable (I also have a 170-500mm lens but there is not lock on the zoom so its liable to slip making this less ideal!) I presume I will need some sort of adapter to connect a guide camera to my lens? Im thinking almost like a reverse t adapter?

I don't think Im too precious about guiding without a PC as I already take my mac outside when observing / AP to use Stellarium and chat on here :)

I guess Im just seeing what the options out there are ;)

I presume I will need some sort of adapter to connect a guide camera to my lens? Im thinking almost like a reverse t adapter?

You will need a special adapter - I designed my own and got a machine shop to make them up for me. Details here of how I made up one for my Canon EOS using a redundant Canon extension tube to furnish the 'female' bayonet piece. You could design your own based on the ideas represented in my article.

I don't think Im too precious about guiding without a PC as I already take my mac outside when observing / AP to use Stellarium and chat on here :)

You might want to check that you can get software for the mac for autoguiding before you go buying other hardware. Unless you also have a windows laptop of course.

There are various software packages available for windows such as PHD (which I use) and Guidedog(?) and I'm sure some others. Don't know what is available for mac though.

Nebulosity 2 runs on macs too :icon_salut: (for image capture)

More and more astrophotographers are using off-axis auto-guiders. I wouldn't be without mine, they allow for the longest exposures possible because they help to eliminate some of the problems that come from guiding with one tube and imaging with another.

Archived