Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope advice

Hi all,

I've spent the morning searching these 'er Interwebs for a Telescope. I think I can hear you all groaning as you no doubt know what's coming :)

For those of you who have read my introduction you'll know that I came across the Meade DS2080 LNT; where ever I go I read good things about it! I'm wondering whether or not any of you have experience on this model and whether it's good value for money keeping mind its quality/function?

The reason I've been looking at such a telescope is it's size and from what I gather speed of set up. I mostly struggle for time so I'm hoping that the motor system will make hunting for things a little quicker.

I'm about to start studying astronomy so I need a pretty good all rounder but with a focus on lunar and planetary viewing with some deep space capability.

Also I've been given a Newtonian Reflector by Bresser. I'm not too sure how great this scope is considering it was given to me; I believe it was a starter pack. I've got the mount and 10, 15 and 25mm eye pieces with a 2x jobby. A very nice gift but it needs a mighty good dusting off as it has been in a loft for years.

A couple piccies:

iPhone022.jpg

iPhone021.jpg

Edit: I think it must have been this set - I'm not sure if it could be classed as cheap.

Thanks

Martin

The 2080 is a refractor and being 80mm dia it will show the bigger/brighter things in the sky. Some DSO's but don't expect everything.

The Meade goto is reasonable, get it level and pointing North and it will do the rest with a little input from you. It is not plug and play, you do need to supply positional data and then the leveling and pointing north.

It is f/10 so CA should be fair.

Do not expect better then 100x magnification, 8mm eyepiece. Cannot recall what it comes with but 100x is a realistic max.

The one you have been donated is 130mm dia so will collect more light about 2.75 times more, and will therefore show more. You should get a max magnification of 150x, possibly a little more.

From what you say it is just a scope so you will need a mount, the EQ3 comes to mind.

You will not be able to stick the reflector on the mount of the 2080 so don't think about it.

The 2080 will need a decent power supply, the eyepieces from the reflector will be of use.

The reflector is bigger and I guess the better option, if the mirror is in a decent state. At present the view may be poor as I guess it could need collimating as well as a possible clean.

Lot to be said for getting that Bresser up and running (a nice looking 'scope!), and use some of your cash for some EP's, and other ancillaries?

Heck could save some money and get the basics secondhand off here, until you find out what direction you want to go with things?

Congrats, very nice gift, well done! :)

I gather the Bresser comes with a mount as well?

I honestly think that's the one to go forward with, as long as the mirror is ok (and if it isn't, getting a 130mm mirror set recoated shouldn't be too bad, should it?).

Obviously if the mirror just needs a clean, exercise caution, and get some advice from here on how to go about it.

Hopefully it will be unnecessary to have to use them, but fair play, the prices for recoating here seem pretty good? http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope7.htm

Thanks for the speedy replies all, very much appreciated.

I have been given an EQ (a great bulky heavy thing) mount with the Bresser Ogri and I'm just searching around for instructions how to use it. Also the finder scope needs alignment as it's all over the place.

I'm hoping to get it cleaned up after the GP qualifying and if the weather behaves itself get some simple viewing in this evening.

It's all very exciting!

It's all very exciting!

It sure is! :)

If the mirror just looks a bit dirty/dusty, apparently it doesn't affect the views. So don't do anything 'dramatic' as yet.

Also, the weather forecast is indeed supposed to be ok for tonight . . . . .

So with that in mind, I'd get the mount sorted with the 'scope on it, get the finder aligned (may want to get a rdf/telrad/rigel to make things a bit easier), and give it a go tonight. ;)

PS download Stellarium and use that to give you an idea where to look. If you have a little compass, it can be a big help with things. http://www.stellarium.org/

PPS fingers crossed you get some great views!

PPPS video on setting up a mount - links to more there too

Thanks Ogri,

I'll not be venturing out for now so will be confined to the garden which is NNW facing. It is enclosed but not massively so, fingers crossed it will provide me enough 'space' to get started and to grips with things.

Well it's all cleaned up. The mirror (from what I can see) is immaculate! Other than being a little grubby I don't think this thing has ever been used. I've done what I can with setting up the finder, I think it's there there about. I've set the mount up in the garden and got it set-up in the neutral position. SO I guess it's now time to wait for some (fingers crossed) clear sky. I've downloaded the Stellarium software and am going to have a play now. Then I'll do some reading up on what's what in the sky tonight (and how the hell to find it!

Mart

Best time to line up the finder is during the day. Use the 25mm eye piece to start with. Try to get a distant object in the centre of your telescope when you are viewing e.g. someone elses television aerial. Then centre the finder scope on this object. Add the 15mm eyepiece and make any adjustments to getyour target dead in centre if you need to. If you had to re-adjust your scope slightly, then re-adjust your finder scope as well. Then do the same with the 10mm eyepiece and then with the x2 barlow.

Archived