Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another attempt at afocal

neilm

A few shots I took last night, afocal with a Nikon Coolpix compact point and press.

I’m not too unhappy with them but I’m a little disappointed with the sharpness of the images compared with what I see just looking through the scope. I spent a good couple of hours yesterday afternoon playing around with the settings in the camera, picture quality, ISO metering, white balance and the like and thought I’d come up with the ideal settings. Yet, not as good as I would have liked, maybe I’m being a little too critical.

So, is this the best I can expect with a point and press? I am still using the 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, probably not the best in the world, would a better quality one improve the image or am I chasing my tail on this and should accept the limitations until I can afford to go for a DSLR?

Cheers

Neil

post-20313-133877483372_thumb.jpg

post-20313-133877483379_thumb.jpg

post-20313-133877483385_thumb.jpg

Hi,

These are far better than my first afocal shots, and, like you, I wanted sharper images. So, I bought an afocal bracket and learned how to use Registax with the following tutorial:

...and now, all I need to do is shoot about 13 seconds of video with my compact Panasonic, run it through Registax, and get this:

Appenines.png

...and people get similar photos using Registax with afocal video:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/109016-afocal-image-plato.html

So, I would recommend learning to use Registax if you want more detail.

George.

Thanks folks, downloaded a copy of Registrax and had a very quick play. Just manipulating a sngle shot as opposed to a video produces some excellent results, I wonder what I'll be doing for the rest to today!

Cheers

Neil

Archived