NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

H-alpha activity 16 Sept

sheri_barri

The sun continues to put on a great show. Lucky catch once again between the gales and the showers...

The almost helical structure in the prominence on the bottom of the image is amazing. Sunspot AR1106 (the returned AR1100 apparently) continues to display significant surface activity and the emergent AR1108 is just visible coming around the limb.

Thank you for looking.

post-15561-133877482821_thumb.jpg

The Lunt telescope is very good for visual observing. When single stacked, the prominences stand out even better and the eye seems quite sensitive to seeing these features against the dark background. I would highly recommend the scope for visual or imaging. If you have never looked through H-alpha, the PST is a very good place to start. There may be one with a local astronomy society who could lend it out. I first looked in H-alpha when Coronado came to Astrofest and demonstrated them to any interested passer-bys. Been taken by the 'view' ever since! Hope you get a chance to see for yourself.

Cheers,

Sheri

Very Nice Sheri

What a wonderful structure. Have you got yourself a barlow, its time for some close ups :-)

I have not posted in a while. Our 15 year drought has finally broken. The good news is tthat we have water in our dams, But of course this means I have not seen a sunny weekend in over a month :-(

Bill D

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your kind words. I have had several attempts with barlows recently, the results have been posted during the past two weeks. Still have great difficulty with banding that appears to be Newton's rings. More experimenting required. Any tips appreciated!

Hope the skies clear for you soon. The Sun has been putting on a good show.

Cheers,

Sheri

Archived