Webcam imaging help!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, you need to loosen the RA motor bracket first and then you need to loosen the altitude clamp (it's on the other side from the motor bracket, I can see it peeking round the back in the photo)

Then you need to turn that long screw you see jutting out to the right so that the polar axis of the scope is raised, that's your altitude bolt. The dial on this should read about 50 degrees, at the moment it's pretty horizontal as if you were in the tropics.

Matt, avoid the dials is the short answer, especially the 0-24 one.

Thanks for the links, makes a little more sense now!

Word of warning for Milkyjoe, where the motor attaches to the shaft, don't do that screw up too tight, I have and the thumbscrew has broken off so can't take my motor off now, whoops!

Ok, you need to loosen the RA motor bracket first and then you need to loosen the altitude clamp (it's on the other side from the motor bracket, I can see it peeking round the back in the photo)

Then you need to turn that long screw you see jutting out to the right so that the polar axis of the scope is raised, that's your altitude bolt. The dial on this should read about 50 degrees, at the moment it's pretty horizontal as if you were in the tropics.

Matt, avoid the dials is the short answer, especially the 0-24 one.

I know how to align the scope to polaris, but why are you telling me to loosen the ra motor bracket and the altitude clamp; I have to set this for polar alignment so I don't need to touch this again, do I?!

I got the motor drive working earlier and the ra does move, but slowly. :)

Thanks for you help.

I don't think you understand what polar alignment is.

That mount's polar axis is pointing only a few degrees up from the horizon, it looks like. It needs to point about 51 degrees up if you are in the UK. That's why you need to loosen the altitude clamp and work that long bolt in until it pushes the polar axis up.

The polar axis is the axis of the cylindrical object at the top of the picture, the one that carries that big gear. You don't just have to turn that towards North, you need to raise it up as well.

I don't think you understand what polar alignment is.

That mount's polar axis is pointing only a few degrees up from the horizon, it looks like. It needs to point about 51 degrees up if you are in the UK. That's why you need to loosen the altitude clamp and work that long bolt in until it pushes the polar axis up.

The polar axis is the axis of the cylindrical object at the top of the picture, the one that carries that big gear. You don't just have to turn that towards North, you need to raise it up as well.

I do know how to polar align my scope, but perhaps you thought I was going to observe last night, which I wasn't. I was just took a quick pic of the RA drive to show you as I always keep the scop level for storage.

:)

IMHO I would set the latitude for your location (to give polar alignement) and then leave it fixed.

Unless you have a special requirement to change it (can't think of one) leave it fixed...one less thing to mess around with while setting up at night.

Archived