Meade QX eps

Owned the 26mm QX and the Revelation Superview 30mm (QX Clone). In my f5 scopes they were not brilliant, below what the SWAN Clones offer. I was rather fond of my 32mm Adler, a notch above the QX in a fast scope but still no match for a Skywatcher Aero.

The SWAN's work really well in a slower (f7 or slower) scope and dependent on how tolerant you are of off-axis abberations, still work quite well upto f5. They are not in the league of a Meade 5000 SWA, Hyperion Aspheric or Skywatcher Aero. But then they cost that much less. I found them very good and at low power didn't find the abberations bothersome.

I have a 15mm QX and a 20mm SWAN and I much prefer the 15mm - the view seems sharper/crisper than the 20mm. I am not in any way a critical observer (I usually image) so have never bothered trying to look for aberrations but my opinion is that I prefer the 15mm QX.

I have a 15mm QX and a 20mm SWAN and I much prefer the 15mm - the view seems sharper/crisper than the 20mm. I am not in any way a critical observer (I usually image) so have never bothered trying to look for aberrations but my opinion is that I prefer the 15mm QX.

I don't mind aberrations either, tend to forget they are there. But with me that is only at low power. I couldn't get on with either series in 1.25" form. Had the 9mm and 20mm Swan's and disliked them both. Had the 15mm and 20mm QX, disliked them equally too. Everyone is different, probably won't know what works until you own it i suppose. If you buy secondhand at least you can sell if it doesn't work out and with minimal (if any) financial loss.

I'm not sure to be honest ogri, I would like to look at dso's so therefore a ler wide angle ep would be nice. According to the thread 'Eye pieces, the very least you need', he recommends a 8, 18, and 25mm ep, so maybe a 16-18mm would be nice.

Of course a lot depends on what actual magnifications 8, 18, and 25mm ep's, give you in your particular 'scope.

This did catch me out badly at first with my ST120, with its 600mm fl. Which is why I now tend to try and make a point about what magnifications I actually get.

I'd have loved a 38mm or a 32mm PanaView for my ST120, but it took a while for it to sink in just how low the resulting magnifications would be (15.8 x mag and 18.75 x mag - frankly, magniifications far better served with binoculars imho - especially after looking through dads 15 x 70's! hehe). Turned out the DSO performance I was looking for, was served well by my 20mm erfle (the 66 deg afov 1.25" WO SWAN clone, for 30 x mag).

A 15mm might fit the low power requirements nicely, at 33.3 x mag in your ST102? The thing then is, will you be ok with an ED Explorer and its 60 degree afov?

I honestly think there's a good chance you might, as with my 66 deg afov with the 20mm, I'd bet a fair bit of that outer area I don't look at, at all?

I tell you what, if you want to try one, if you don't get on with it, I'll buy it off you for what you gave for it, so all you will lose is the postage?

ETA: Richard, Haitch has found a cracking deal on a Meade 16mm SWA! http://www.optics-pro.com/meade-16mm-super-wide-fishes-eyepiece--1-af---/p,10250?sid=f239f4b3bc3f76479d152e522ce34259 postage isn't too bad either. :D

That would give you 31.25 x mag in the ST102.

Archived