Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I do this in Nebulosity ?

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

Last week I have made some parallel shots on a fairly dark site with two different camera's ( parallel mounted ): a Canon 350D on a 150/1200 Black Diamond reflector, and an Atik 314L+ color camera on an Orion ED80. There was an OIII filter on the Atik and a CLS filter on the Canon attached.

These two setups give about the same field of view, so I thought I could use the Translation+Rotation+Scale option in Nebulosity to bring the two images together. I have tried it but I failed miserably...

I got to the point when Nebulosity was asking the reference star on both images, and it started the procedure. Then I got a completely dark frame as "final image", and Nebulosity was asking for save file name. After that I received an error message saying that the image values exceeds the 16-bit range. I used the "adaptive stacking" option so it shouldn't occur ( ??? ).

Could somebody explain what am I doing wrong, or is it possible at all in Nebulosity what I am trying to do ?

An other phenomen I noticed that all Atik frames are heavily pixelated even after debayering. I am wondering if it is caused by the OIII filter & how to overcome this ?

cheers,

Janos

Short answer: no I don't think you can.

Long list of bullets why not:

Pixel scale

a/d conversion not same range

de-bayering not same

bias levels different

dithering

dark frames different

totally different light curves going into the two different cameras...

The easiest way to combine these would be to do your best for both sets seperately in Nebulosity, drop them to TIF and manipulate in PS (or similar) to show the two layers of image. Might even be fun!

What have you got at the moment? What were you pointed at? Personally I like the idea of combining multispectral images.

Hi Trull,

Thanks for your reply, in the meantime there is a light at the end of the tunnel !

This weekend I was able to combine two processed images ( one from Canon 350D, one from Atik 314L+ ) with Nebulosity, Translation+Rotation+Scale certainly works !

There is no need to do it manually in PS.

As a next step, I am trying to use the Canon image as RGB and the Atik image as L, but Nebulosity crashed every time when I tried this (for unknown reason ).

I have posted this crash report on the Stark-Labs Yahoo-goup, let's see if it gets sorted out ;-).

cheers,

Janos

Archived