NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting DSLR directly onto EQ6

Hi Athar,

When I came to want to do this I found some fantastic engineered solutions from ADM amongst other, but in the end I enlarged an existing but unused hole on one of my dovetails with a 10mm HSS bit and I attach one of my manfrotto ball heads using a 1 1/2" long 3/8" UNC/Whitworth cap screw from custom-fasteners.co.uk. 98p + £3.95 p&p.

Having the head on there give me the flexibility the other chaps are talking about.

I'm gutted I couldn't find any whitworth bolts locally, but then I was probably too impatient to roam my local engineering stores!

Hope that helps.

Michael

Good point Mike...

B&S heads can be either 3/8" or 1/4" depending on the Model/manufacturer ... the better larger ones tend to be 3/8"...

I recently put together a dual DSLR guided Setup....

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/112274-today-i-have-been-making-guided-dual-dslr-setup.html

I am lucky i can get BSW or UNC locally but BSM only comes in standard hex head... not as a socket head cap screw..

Peter...

Thanks all,

For the Dovetail of the ones below the 15cm looks a little strange...is that OK or do I need the 21cm one?

Dovetail bars - Skywatcher Dovetail Mounting Plates

Also will the hole for the bolt be already there or will I need to drill/tap one?

Cheers

You might have to modify and existing hole if your going to use a B&S head with 3/8" fitting... especially if you need to counter bore the back of the hole to get the bolt head sub flush...

I tend to buy the longer bars and chop them up...

Peter...

Archived