Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Avistack 2 - Process as Greyscale?

Hi all

I've been using Avistack 2 to batch process .avi files of the moon.

The files are produced by a QHY5v.

My problem is that the batch process stops and asks "Do you want to process as Greyscale?" (or words to that effect) at the start of every file. In my mind this rather defeats the object of batch processing.

Has anyone else had the same issue and overcome it? If so - how did you do it please?

Thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

Frustrating isn't it?

I really like Avistack and have written to Michael (who wrote Avistack) and received the following;

Hi Steve,

thanks for your message.

> I especially like the batch processing feature - especially since I tend to

> take large mosaics of the moon with my QHY5V CMOS camera. The only trouble

> is that the programme asks if I want to process each image as greyscale and

> awaits my response before processing every file which rather defeats the

> reason for batch processing.

When are you asked this by the program? I thought I had already disabled this just for the batch processing reason! Maybe, I have done this after the release of v2.0.

So I need to check again. If you have gray-scale data stored as RGB, you could then use the frame selection menu to select processing of a certain channel, only (R, G or :icon_salut:. This speeds up things quite a bit as the program than handles a (n, m) matrix instead of (3, n, m) for RGB.

> I can't see how to overcome this so that the programme automatically

> processes the files as greyscale and I've had answer to the question on a

> couple of forums. Would you be able to point me in the right direction

> please?

Unfortunately, you cannot get around this within AS2. Maybe, it is possible to convert the movies to grey-scale somehow for now?

Regards,

Michael

I then wrote to QHY and they've sent back with a reply which I couldn't make sense of (and lost (Doh!))

I don't really know enough about greyscale and RGB to go any further - all I know is that the QHY5v codec is RGB, even though the 5v is mono, and AS2 insists on asking the question.

Perhaps if you wrote to Michael as well (along with all other 5v owners) he'd do a "fix" for us!!??

Regards

Steve

Steve

I had a play about, and no matter what I do it asks me. As far as I can see.. the avi file doesn't contain any information about whether the data is RGB or grayscale and in fact even reports the wrong frame rate 10 fps... (that might be windows though).

Archived