Celestron FirstScope thoughts

Hello,

I have just got back into Astronomy and bought some binoculars to start off with. I have exhausted their possibilities now and then I saw this FirstScope Telescope (item #21024) / FirstScope Telescope / Telescopes / Products / Celestron.com

I have ordered it after some good reviews and it only being £40.

Has anyone had any experience with this and offer any tips using it?

I know I'm not going to see the full coloured beauty of Jupiter, but seeing its moons would be a start, which I cannot currently see with 12X50 binoculars.

I thought a scope like this would be good practice leading up to a bigger investment in the future.

I had one of these, the EP's are not great but ok for the moon.

Argos were selling them for £30 and then again through the Argos Ebay store for around £25 delivered (last month).

I wouldn't expect masses from it but it performs well for a scope its size.

I would probably look towards the Sky watcher Heritage 130p. now that's an excellent starter scope.

Nothing wrong with it (for the price), it was my first scope and really enjoyed using it, great value for money. I've now moved on, only slightly and donated it to a friend of mine who's getting much enjoyment out of it.

We all have to start somewhere...

Neil

It was my first scope too! I also now have the 130p as mentioned by CGolder above.

The Firstscope has to be the easiest scope in the world to use and gave me great views of the planets, stars and the moon.

The eyepieces supplied are not the best and you will find your view enhanced by buying some cheap second hand plossls.

It's very much a starter scope however, and I upgraded to the 130p flextube pretty quickly - and the difference was huge.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies. I could see that Jupiter has moons, just not make out each moon separately. For £40 I'm definitely seeing this as a starter telescope, I'm just glad people think it's a good choice as this. I'll let you know how I get on. Anyone recommend better eyepieces for a 3" scope?

Archived