Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular mounting

Hypernova

Hi everyone,

after using my Celestron Skymaster 15x70s a couple of times and being blown away by the views but held back by my very bad hand shake, I have decided that some kind kind of mount is required.

I have four clear options as far as I can see:

Number 1 - Use a standard tripod and l-bracket to achieve stability. Good idea at first though but it involves near enough breaking my neck to view anything above 50 degrees or so, so I don't think this is really a viable option for me.

Number 2 - Parallelogram mount. Not sure what advantage this has over the standard mounting apart that it positions the binoculars away from the tripod but still has the problem of the aching neck.

Number 3 - Monopod and ball joint. This might work out better because I could observe from a seated or possibly from a reclined position, I'd have to work this out first to see how it would work in practice. This option might be easier to store on trips as it takes up less space that a full tripod and mount.

Number 4 - SkyWindow type mount. This involves mount the binos at 45 degrees to level pointing at a tilting mirror to alter the altitude of you FOV without moving your head at all. Used from a seated position and rotation in azimuth is attained by simply turning your chair round. I like this idea very much but I have heard of disadvantages such as dewing up of the mirror and view reversed vertically.

ScopesNSkies do their own version for £75

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Binoflex ST50 mirror binocular mounting

but I think I could could cut some cost by constructing one myself, I can obtain an optically flat mirror of about 6"x8" for £25

Any thoughts on these options would be useful :blob10:

Have you thought of one of these?

7dayshop Tripods - Neck Tripod for Photo and Video: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

A friend has one and swears by it. Even just holding the binos by the stalk helps as the grip is more stable and the binos don't move up and down nearly so much. Its good standing up, but it works brilliantly when seated and with the end stabilised against your chest. Your arms get much less tired too as its a much nicer holding position (waist height rather than above shoulders).

I think I've just convinced myself to try one too! When we got the other one it was the last of the stock and we failed to find another stockist at the time. At the price amazon is doing it it has to be worth a go!

Helen

Archived