NEW MEMBER FR0M CENTRAL GERMANY

I assume that dob has a F/5 focal ratio. Then collimation is really critical and should be checked on a regular basis.

It helps if you buy a laser collimator. It's a small device that you put in the focuser and sends a laser beam (with a target frame) inside the scope. The device comes with instructions and there is here a forum that explains it: http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/80488-newbie-collimating-advice.html

Good luck

Hey worldbefree10, welcome to SGL from me in Sheffield, UK. As well as advice already given...and more to come I dare say...try this link, which I found so easy to follow..it's in the form of a short movie as well as clear instructions.

www. andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html ...good luck and clear skies to you.

Hi Worldbefree10, welcome to the forum. I recently bought a Hotech laser collimator and got to use it for the first time yesterday. I must say it is dead easy to use, my telescope was out quite a bit on both the secondary and primary mirrors.

Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope

It did come with a collimation cap and a collimation laser. Thanks for all of the replies and I will keep everyone updated with my progress. I am very excited!! Thank again.

Thats an excellent scope and an F/6 so a little easier to collimate and keep collimated than a faster scope (ie: F/5, F/4.5 etc) :blob10:

Archived