Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, Uranus & Neptune systems

lukebl

Hi,

Last night I had a go at imaging Jupiter, Neptune and Uranus at the same scale just to see how their satellite systems compare in size. Here's the result. Not brilliant, but shows how tiny the Uranus and Neptune systems are visually compared to Joop (they'd both be almost completely covered just by Jupiter's disc).

Managed to pick out Triton, Oberon, Titania, Umbriel and the Galileans. 8 moons in one night of three planetary systems.

Taken with Canon 450d, 200mm f/5 Newtonian, 3x Barlow. Uranus and Neptune, 8 x 3min exposures. Jupiter 1 sec.

Here it is with labels:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture6405-outerplanets2b.jpg

and here it is without the satellite labels for clarity:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture6404-outerplanets1b.jpg

Hope you like it.

I had to manually stack them in Photoshop, with no darks or flats, as I just can't get DSS or Registax to stack them. DSS just says that there aren't enough stars to stack. Any ideas how to sort that out? I did take a load of darks and flats, so the proper stacked result should be a lot better.

hi there, awesome images, i tried to image uranus, used a x2 barlow and eos 450 and took 30 second subs, dss managed to find around 10 stars each sub (4 of which were moons i guess) so a wider field helps, i just cropped my pic after

hi there, awesome images, i tried to image uranus, used a x2 barlow and eos 450 and took 30 second subs, dss managed to find around 10 stars each sub (4 of which were moons i guess) so a wider field helps, i just cropped my pic after

Yes, I saw your image of Uranus, which I thought was superb and a lot better than mine. Incidentally DSS said that it found 10 alignment stars but still insisted that it could only stack one frame out of 11, which is useless.

Archived