NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Veil nebula for the first time

Rusty Strings

Nice one John I have also been trying to get a look at that my goto does take me there but even with my filter cant really see a great deal I have seen a very faint trail which I slowly followed but maybe my skies are not really dark enough :o

Kevin

The seeing, last night, wasn't brilliant but I finally found the veil with my OIII filter and 24mm panoptic. Not the brightest nebula I've looked at and without the filter there was nothing obvious to see.

Another box ticked.

One of my favorites! I can barely detect it without a filter, but for this object it's actually worth the money. :o

The seeing, last night, wasn't brilliant but I finally found the veil with my OIII filter and 24mm panoptic. Not the brightest nebula I've looked at and without the filter there was nothing obvious to see.

Another box ticked.

Which segment did you see John ? - there is the east (AKA the bridal veil) and west (AKA the witches broom) and a small faint triangle between them known. rather grandly, as pickerings triangular wisp.

It's a really complex nebula which rewards careful study I've found - you need nearly a 4 degree true field to fit the whole lot into the same view but it's a wonderful sight :o

I've spotted the brightest segment (the east part) with an 80mm F/5 refractor and a UHC-S filter on an exceptional night.

Absolutely Carol, It was my third go at finding it and the east segment slowly appeared, it arced across the top left hand quadrant of the FOV and moving the scope westwards I found a similar arc in the lower right. Very wispy and without the OIII nothing was visible.

Mick

Does that 32mm Uwan put both segments in the FOV at once?

After reading this thread I thought I'd have a go at finding the Veil. Doc was spot on I put 52 Cygni in the middle of the 28mm Nirvana, with the Skywatcher UHC filter, which gives me almost 2 degrees and there was the witches broom I then panned across until I could make out the bridal veil, could not make out the triangular wisp. I then switched to the Ethos 17 and now I knew where to look I could pick out both the broom and the bridal veil without the filter, with the filter it looked superb and I found the wisp too. Conditions here tonight are very good the Milky Way is running almost from horizon to horizon and the atmosphere is pretty steady for a change:)

Nice one John and Chris! Seeing the Witches Broom part of the Veil for the first time ranks as one of my top 5 'wow' moments in astronomy. I have always found an OIII works best. The view I got in my 16" this summer was mindblowingly awesome :blob10:

Archived