NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 30th August 2010

mike bacanin

I managed a sketch of Jupiter early this morning.

Seeing was very average with fleeting good moments. These were too short to properly capture all the potential detail, but here's the sketch.

30 August 2010

02.10 - 02.35 UT

C8 SCT, x203 with zeiss 10mm ortho.

view has North top, reversed left to right with diagonal.

The NEB had alot of vague detail in those fleeting moments, several darker areas noted. Seeing would not support x250 with the 8mm Brandon to give any extra detail.

The 12.5mm zeiss was sharp but the lower mag made it difficult to see the finer details in the very average seeing for most of the time.

Here's hoping for steadier nights soon!

Mike

post-13026-133877476645_thumb.jpg

Mike, very accurate drawing. I was out last night too until midnight but only went up to x150 as seeing was poor. Will post a picture tonight. We basically saw the same level of detail. The SCT must have been affected by the poor seeing so there is more to come.

hi both

I saw just about this level of detail in my 6" f11 newt (superb sketch!!), and just about managed 200x for a lot of the time but agree the seeing was a little disappointing last night (especially as I was trying out this scope for a test against my 12" dob and 120 achro!).

Nice one Mike. Really liking that. I know what you mean about the seeing. Average at best with one or two moments of something slightly steadier summed it up for last night.

You've picked up on some interesting detail in the southern component of the NEB by the looks of it with those darker areas. Good stuff ;)

Archived