Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4 Constellations, 6 Messiers

Nick P

Date: 29/30.8.10

Time: 21.40 - 01.45

Limiting naked eye magnitude: 4.5

Light Pollution: Moderate/Heavy

Equipment: Orion Optics (UK) 200 Newtonian f4.5 fl 900mm on Meade LXD 55 Mount, 9x50 finder, EP’s 32mm, 15mm, 8mm plossls, Starry Night pro sky maps.

This is my first observing report so, sorry if I ramble on a bit! Last night was the first time we have had good clear skies that I have been able to take advantage of for quite some time, so planned a tour of Bootes, Canes Venatici, Hercules, and Lyra to see what I could find. I am particularly interested in establishing what types of objects are viewable from my rather less than ideal viewing location which suffers from many of the perceived obstacles to modern amateur astronomers, lack of space, light pollution, heat currents from nearby living spaces, limited views.

My view spans azimuth co ordinates of around 210d to 320d (roughly SW to NNW) and altitude of 0d to 55d although the glow from light pollution extends to about 20d, still a big chunk of sky though!

M3 (Globular Cluster) mag 7 in Bootes – Az 284 Alt 28:

Aiming the finder scope at the sky about halfway between Arcturus and Cor Coroli, M3 is easy to find and shows in the finder. At 28x M3 shows as a quite bright fuzzy blob however applying more power up to 112x still does not resolve stars although this is probably due to the low altitude and LP and difficulties in maintaining night vision.

Cor Coroli double mag 2.84 in Canes Vetanici – Az299 Alt 24:

Aiming the finder at Cor Corolli alpha and then looking through the 32mm eyepiece, the double was easily split showing the large Alpha star and the much smaller companion alpha 1, both stars appear white at 28x.

M94 (Cats eye galaxy) mag 9.4 in Canes Vetanici – Az 302 Alt 26:

Using Cor Coroli as the guide star and putting it South West (North East in the finder) in the finder field of view, puts M94 in the central area of the 32mm EP. M94 shows as a medium bright star within a small hazy patch, applying more magnification did not improve the view or produce any detail – first view of M94!

M63 (Sunflower galaxy) mag 8.5 in Canes Vetanici – Az 309 Alt 22:

Again using Cor Coroli as the guide star got the right part of the sky in the finder scope and the 32mm but could not discern anything, spiralling the view around this point failed to show anything. I put this failure down to the LP effect at this low an altitude.

M13 (Hercules Cluster) mag 7 in Hercules – Az 291 Alt 30:

Using Eta Hercules as the guide star, M13 is very easy to find by moving the finder view straight down about half a field until the fuzzy ball of M13 is found, at 28x, and 112x was unable to resolve many stars, however I put this down to the low altitude of the object, last time I looked at M13 it was at an altitude of 42d in the sky and was able to resolve many stars and lanes at 112x.

M92 (Globular Cluster) mag 7.5 in Hercules – Az 292 Alt 39:

I couldn’t find this by star hopping so pointed the finder in the general direction and by spiralling the finder scope around the area found the small fuzzy blob that is M92. Was able to resolve a few stars at 112x but probably needs more magnification to get a decent view.

Double Double in Lyra – Az 291 Alt 37:

Although I could easily find what I think are Lyra1a and 2a I couldn’t split these into their respective doubles at 112x – need to do more research on these to confirm whether I was looking at the right stars and what magnification is needed to split them.

M57 (Ring Nebula) mag 9.5 – Az 279 Alt 35:

Using Sheliak as the guide star to put the right piece of sky in to the 32mm eyepiece FOV, nothing is identifiable at 28x, however stepping up to the 15mm and 60x, and spiralling around the field of view, a very small hula hoop shaped object is easily identified. This was the hi lite of the nights viewing being the first time I have seen M57 and my first planetary nebula. Next time I will see if my O111 filter improves the view at much higher magnification – this object is going to become quite a favourite I think!

Last nights session has proved a couple of really useful points for me which will help further my enjoyment of the night sky:

1. Stepping up from the standard OO 6x30 finder to a 9x50 has made object location much easier as far more objects are visible.

2. Even from my location, which would normally preclude any serious astronomical pursuit, there are a wealth of objects to explore providing the limitations are recognised and taken account of during planning.

Many thanks for your patience!

Nick

A great evening's viewing!

I was out last night too, looking at some of the same targets. Here on the edge of Fenland I get quite a bit of light pollution from Peterborough over to the west, and it was a race to observe before the Moon came up over the back of my house. On the plus side I've just borrowed a copy of 'Turn Left at orion' from the library.

M13 - my first view and it took a bit of finding, even with TLatO. My fault! A bit of a smudge in the 25mm EP (48x) but better in the 12mm (100x) with lots more detail apparent. I even tried my 10mmm & barlow (240x) which looked stunning - like something from Star Trek ;)

M57 - I first saw it last year and I know where to look now. Best view was with the 12mm & barlow (200x). I know my telescope won't show me the central star but I keep looking.

M27 - first view for Mrs Twotter and TLatO helped me find it. Again the best view was with the 12mm & barlow.

It's been ages since I've been out looking at the stars and it felt good!

Wonderful report Nick, and congratulations on seeing M57! ;)

There's an easy way to get to M92. Center your finderscope on M13 and unlock the mount's RA. Slide over to Pi Herculis and lock the RA. Then unlock the Dec, and go straight up. :mad:

Cunning Carol. I like it.

Great first report Nick, I love the fact that you are quite happy with your bit of sky. I can see horizon to zenith and 180 degrees roughly east to west, including north. So I'm scuppered when it comes to planets.

Great report. You might benefit from one of those sky polution filters that takes out the sodium wavelength...Also get a black cloth to put over your head so your eyes keep their night vision..

You should be able to split that double double on high power. The dots are so close though and unless you have seen it it is a bit odd the first time.

Try M 102 in Draco, thats pretty high up and I can just see it in my 80mm binoculars. Its quite tough to locate but it might just be possible from your location.

Nice report anyway..

Mark

Thanks for the positive remarks everyone, and I shall try your tip Carol to find M92!

I have also discovered that the oversize hood on my sweatshirt (hoody?) makes an excellent black cloth covering me and the eye piece! thanks for the idea everyone!

Am just going to test my new nagler 11 and Barlow on the double double again!

Best

Nick

Archived