Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solarscope SF-100 is here!

brianb

Well I'm tired - the skies finally cleared!!! - I have other reports to write up but I must present the "first light" images from my Solarscope SF-100 Ha filter set which arrived at 1345 UT on August 26th ... amazingly the sky was clear & transparent and the seeing, whilst not good, was far from impossible so I simply had to get it into action!

Imaging & processing was done as near as possible to normal, I'm too tired to muck around. Except I did change the (synthetic) colour of the surface images slightly. This is a fairly hurried job & could probably be improved. All images made with Solarscope SF-100 filter set (single etalon), William Optics FLT 110 f/7 fluorite triplet refractor on Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount with Berlebach Planet tripod, Televue 2.5x Powermate and Imaging Source DMK21 camera. Orientation is, as usual, North up, west (preceding) to the right.

Sun-100826-1429-Ha-AR1100-FLTX25.jpg

1429 UT

Sun-100826-1430-Ha-AR1101-FLTX25.jpg

1430 UT

Sun-100826-1431-Ha-promE-FLTX25.jpg

1431 UT

Sun-100826-1433-Ha-promNE-FLTX25.jpg

1433 UT

Sun-100826-1435-Ha-promNNW-FLTX25.jpg

1435 UT

Sun-100826-1436-Ha-promNW-FLTX25.jpg

1436 UT

Sun-100826-1439-Ha-promSE-FLTX25.jpg

1439 UT

Sun-100826-1445-Ha-promSW-FLTX25.jpg

1445 UT

Transparency very good, seeing moderate to poor with significant boiling. Temperature 19C, wind N force 3.

Whats it like visually Brian compared to the SV60.

If you know the smaller Solarscope filters (or the old larger aperture Coronado scopes), then it's pretty much the same except with more resolution. If anything my SF-100 has more contrast than my SV-60. The transmission is a bit lower too (in terms of exposure at the same focal ratio - you wouldn't notice by eye) which suggests that the bandwidth is a bit tighter. If your experience is limited to the Lunt scopes, then in my experience the single stack Solarscope is about equivalent in terms of detail & contrast to a double stack Lunt ... without the tuning complications of a DS setup. If your experience is limited to a standard PST, then this is a whole new ballgame!

However I'd caution that Ha filter sets do have considerable variation between examples from the same production batch ... not surprising given the fantastic tolerances required for an etalon to work at all.

Erm...It's not

In the amateur domain ..this is

For solar surface. Might I respectfully point out that a very tight bandwidth is not ideal for prominences. There's also the practicality of the Daystar filter set - requires power & time to settle to a steady temperature - I'm sure it's a great "permanent" setup but it's a long, long way from grab 'n' go practicality! Not exactly cheap either ...

Thats very impressive if its showing more surface detail than your SV60 Brian......i want one ;)

It is without doubt the Best stand alone filter in the World.

I can nor could not be bothered with the Daystar or Solarspectrum

rear mounted ones regardless of Bandwidth im too Lazy for them.

Oh my experience of filters include Coronado,Lunt and Solarscopes Brian.

Brian

For solar surface. Might I respectfully point out that a very tight bandwidth is not ideal for prominences. There's also the practicality of the Daystar filter set - requires power & time to settle to a steady temperature - I'm sure it's a great "permanent" setup but it's a long, long way from grab 'n' go practicality! Not exactly cheap either ...

:-)

It was a reposnse to the statement... not a slight on what I also think is the best grab and go rig in the world

Thats very impressive if its showing more surface detail than your SV60 Brian......i want one ;)

It is without doubt the Best stand alone filter in the World.

I can nor could not be bothered with the Daystar or Solarspectrum

rear mounted ones regardless of Bandwidth im too Lazy for them.

Oh my experience of filters include Coronado,Lunt and Solarscopes Brian.

Brian

You've thus never seen what I have with a 0.3A rig then...quite amazing..seriously quite stunning.. and my experience is Solar Spectrum, Daystar, Lunt LS60/50/CaK, Coronado (IOM/Meade and Mexican flavours), SV50/60/70/SF100. Yes 0.7A is a better option for proms, but that was not the statement...I know all about optimal bandpass..

:-)

but anyway...we digress, Brian, you have the best stand along solar filter in the world...(though I guess someone with an LS152 would probably want to argue that)

If

However I'd caution that Ha filter sets do have considerable variation between examples from the same production batch ... not surprising given the fantastic tolerances required for an etalon to work at all.

Typically why Ken makes the filters in pair batches matching exactly.. for DS purposes..

even so, having used three SV60's and two SV50's even they differ quite a lot.. Ken mentioned that the 50 I have is one of the best he ever made last time we spoke

Archived