NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spikey Stars

They're called 'defraction spikes" and are caused by the light hitting the vanes attaching the secondary on Newts.

If you see them in images taken with a SCT or refractor it means they have been artifically added after the shot using software.

How come you (supposedly) don't get D'spikes with Ritchey-Chrétien designs and I see some Ritchey-Chrétien with vanes and some without?

Gary

If you see them in images taken with a SCT or refractor (or any other scope design that doesn't use a spider) it means they have been artifically added after the shot using software. :)

Now I know what to do with my old guitar strings !

Thanks for the tip.

I'd seen the spikes on Rog's images with the ED80 refractor and thought they must be artificial.

Spikes can make the larger, brighter stars look more interesting - if not overdone.

8)

MD

Now I know what to do with my old guitar strings !

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to try a nylon G first. When I get round to it and the skies clear I shall post my results. Previously i had used the wire from inside a thin electric cable but this was quite tough to keep straight.

Anthony

Archived