Not sure if this would be the best forum for this but I am thinking of buying a good DLSR camera. This would mainly be for everyday use but I would like to use it for wide field astrophotography and perhaps to be able to use it one day on DSO's if I ever manage to get enough money to buy the right scope and mount for this. With this in mind which DSLR would you recommend? Budget wise up to a grand but preferably less, maybe between 500 - 800 if possible.

The Canon 1000D is a favourite at the moment for DSO photography. You might want to consider getting a separate camera for daytime use though as a modified DSLR with the IR filter removed will give you much better results for DSOs but is much less useful for daytime work. So get a nice DSLR for daytime work first and a modified 1000D or 350D for your astro work if you decide your unmodified camera isn't doing what you want.

Canon 1000D seems to be the camera of choise these days. It will take perfectly good astro photo's, without modification, of most objects - it's ony objects with high levels of infra-red eg emission nebulae that will suffer, but they can still be photographed! It also makes a good general purpose "ordinary" camera.

I've not regretted getting the Canon EOS1000D (Check the imaging Deep Sky forum for some of my recent images) and you can get it sub £400 with the 18-50 lense. If you do want to spend more then there are better Canons in the EOS range but they are heavier.

Hi Steve

I used my stock un modded 400d for a couple of years to start with and that gave me plenty to think about and learn. I've just upgraded to a modded 1000d which I'm delighted with.

If I had my time again I'd probably buy my camera of choice for daytime use and also use it for astro work too (which seems to be very occassionally these days!) , then having seen how I got on with it, decide later whether to mod it, buy a dedicated DSLR or even a CCD.

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon

Hope this helps

Steve

Archived