NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star diagonals

The stock diagonals and eyepieces that come with most telescopes will get you going but are really not that great

usually changing the diagonal is the first improvement most make when they buy their scope and it will improve your views

a good quality Dielectric W/O Dielectric is not that expensive really I have used this particular one and it is great value

Kevin

The stock diagonals and eyepieces that come with most telescopes will get you going but are really not that great

usually changing the diagonal is the first improvement most make when they buy their scope and it will improve your views

a good quality Dielectric W/O Dielectric is not that expensive really I have used this particular one and it is great value

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I have replaced the barlow with a Tal model and also got two new super plossl's. :)

I might replace the SD as well then, no good having new eps and barlows if the SD is rubbish to start with! :)

Thanks again.

The thing is, all the improvements are little and the various steps are expensive.

It's about balance. There is little point in shelling out on £500 a go Televue EP's and using them on a basic Telescope or Diagonal. Of course if you can afford the best then great, they will last a lifetime, if you are making small progressive steps then try to keep the quality of the components about equal.

Once you reach the point of having a 2" Televue, Astro-physics or similar Diagonal then you will probably never replace it. Until then, I would say look for somethiing in sympathy with your EP's and Telescope.

It's not just the better performance of a good diagonal but also the build quality. Any half decent diagonal should also have brass compression rings to hold the eyepiece.

I've worked my way through a number of different diagonals from the generic dielectrics to the William Optics dielectric and now have a couple of the Astro-Physics Maxbrights. :)

One thing to note though is that while a good diagonal will help improve your viewing it can't work miracles so it all depends on the optics of your scope as to exactly how much of an improvement that you'll see.

John

Thanks for your comments guys.

I realise that spending £100's is not going to get me hubble-like results, but I suppose I should upgrade the SD seeing as though I've bought new eps and a new barlow. The build quality of the supplied SD doesn't feel that good to me anyway, images viewed through a supplied ep are good, but i've read you can get better with better quality kit.

The scope and optics are great.

Richard.

Archived