Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just got my first SLR...questions

Tutankhpip

It's an oldish model. A Miranda MS-1 Super. Cheap as chips and it came with a polarising filter. I'm planning on using it for star trails and the such just as a small project. The camera is a film camera so I've got a few questions.

1. Do I need batteries for it? It has space for batteries but do these power anything other than the flash? (which I wont be using)

2. As I dont have a shutter release cable, is there a way to mimic the process without getting a wobbly image? I've heard stories of rubberbands but cant find any info

3. Are there any essentials for simple astrophotography? I have a mount and I'm going to get a shutter release if I can find one. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance folks

The Miranda MS-1 Super is a 35mm SLR. I have found an on-line manual which you might find useful Miranda MS-1 super. The batteries (2x LR44) power the lightmeter and LEDs in the viewfinder, I think the shutter might also be electronic, so the batteries are necessary. Any flash attached to the camera will be powered by its own batteries. To avoid camera shake without a cable release you can use the selftimer on the front of the camera. This will delay the shutter firing by about 10 seconds and allow the shutter to be opened for a maximum of 1 second, longer exposures require a cable release and the shutter speed set to the B setting.

Peter

you can also open the shutter on B or T and cover the lens as you open it using a black card. Then remove the card a few seconds later when the vibrations have died down. To be honest, with film being so slow with slow or low intensity exposures (reciprocity law failure) you need not worry about any vibration.

Dennis

Archived