NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there a program that can let you take long exposures with a webcam???

The reason im asking is that i have a modified MS lifecam cinema which i am going to try and as a guide cam.

Ive noticed when using PHD it allows you to set the exposure times upto 10 seconds, so surely there must be some software out there than enables me to use the lifecam to take much longer exposures for astrophotography, or isnt it that simple?

Ive found this free software program that seems to be what i am looking for but it keeps crashing, ive managed to get an image on my laptop screen for about 3 seconds before it crashes and thats it.

Has anyone else used this program before and had the same problems?

edit: whoops!..a link would be nice! http://arnholm.org/astro/software/wxAstroCapture/index.htm

Tis true, the software won't do it, think of the shutter on a webcam, it's not a physical shutter like on a camera, it's an electronic switch that's basically on or off, the controller chip is programmed with it's max and min shutter speeds. To lower the minimum, ie long exposure, it's a hardware mod and to date, no-one has figured out the mod for a lifecam.

Nope, it's something I've been watching and there's no long exposure mod for it as yet. Also, be aware that there's a recent firmware update for this cam and a software update, however, dump their controller software and fire it up with wcctrl, you may find that gives you a gain control but I can't say for certain

WcCtrl - Description

Ive just been having a play around with this program, you can download the free (trial version has thier name on each image) program here ==> Exposure - make long exposure photos with a webcam or from video ...not sure exactly if its taking long exposures or not, its says it it and its saving the images, but they dont look like long exposures to me, altho im not sure if i need to play around with it a bit more.

The picture quality seems better than most image capturing software ive come across so i will have another bash at it later.

Ive just been having a play around with this program, you can download the free (trial version has thier name on each image) program here ==> Exposure - make long exposure photos with a webcam or from video ...not sure exactly if its taking long exposures or not, its says it it and its saving the images, but they dont look like long exposures to me, altho im not sure if i need to play around with it a bit more.

The picture quality seems better than most image capturing software ive come across so i will have another bash at it later.

This from the FAQs

Q10: Do you have any tips for a better result?

A10: The higher the webcam resolution' date=' the better. And also having a high frame rate webcam (i.e. 30Hz or 60Hz) should yield more fluid looking images. Note that Exposure is only simulating long exposure. The software has no control over shutter timings, after all, CCDs on webcams do saturate after prolonged exposure. Images saved in uncompressed formats will also lack compression artefacts (see Q9).[/quote']

The software only simulates a long exposure.

Peter

"The software only simulates a long exposure"

I dont quite understand what that means peter?

Is it actually capturing any more light at say 30 seconds than it would at 10 seconds?

if not, what is the point of it? Im baffled!:)

I don't think the software actually gives say a 10 second exposure, ie a single frame, 10 second exposure. The software takes a 10 second video clip, for example and then stacks the individual frames so that movement on the video appears continous. The software only simulates long exposures, not actually allowing the webcam to have a long exposure mode like the Steve Chamberrs LX mod on the Toucam.

Exposure is an application that uses a digital camera or webcam to create long exposure photos. A video can also be made into a long exposure photo if so desired

Peter

Thanks for that Peter.

Jim let me know how you get on with it if you try it for AP,

at the moment im limited to a communications ariel on the top of a block of flats about 500 yards away, we've had nothing but clouds for god knows how long now and i cant see it changing any time soon!:)

Archived