Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 (EQ3-2)

Hi.

Does anyone own one of these scopes, I have some questions please if anyone can help...

1) Is it any good?

2) What are the optics like?

3) Being an F/12, is it good for moon/planetary viewing, and maybe a few brighter dso's?

4) How portable is it, is the mount pretty heavy (I would like to take it overseas)?

Any adivce/comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,

I have the 127 on the Go-To AZ so I can't comment on the mount.

I can, however, tell you that the quality of the optics is spot on. I have to say that I get far better contrast with this scope than I do on my 12" Dob with Meade optics. As for suitability for planetary & lunar observation, this is the very reason I bought mine and I have not been dissapointed.

I will have to let somone else answer your questions regarding the EQ3.

Regards Tony

Hi,

I've owned mine since the beginning of the year. Mine is on the GoTo mount too.

The scope itself is superb, providing excellent views of the planets. It also gives very good views of the moon up to at least 180x magnification. (16.8mm orthoscopic barlowed 2x)

As for DSOs, I have viewed both the Cateye and Ring nebulas with this scope and also resolved a few stars in M13.

The only Galaxy I've seen with it though is Andromeda. However, the skies I view are light poluted to a degree as I view from my back garden on a housing estate. Used from a truly dark site I can only imagine how good this scope is.

Mark

I've got the EQ3-2 mount and its not too heavy. Without a telescope attached I can handle it with one arm, I haven't weighed it but its definitely no heavier than 10kg, most likely less. For travel purposes, the tripod can be folded down the the eq mount can be broken down into more managable sizes for transport.

As for overseas, the tripod will be the most awkward thing because of its length when folded down. But weight wise, all of it should be easily portable.

Archived