NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Project August

Demonperformer

A project I set myself was to take a series of photos of Neptune during August, and turn them into an animation. Well, still a long way to go, with lots more piccies to take, but I thought I would provide a taster for what is to come, with this short animation ... two images, five days apart. (Looks like you need to click on the picture to get it to move.)

Hopefully, advertising what I intend to be doing has not doomed me to three weeks of solid cloud ...

There seems to be plenty moving in there? Is that just down to one image picking up more objects?

Yes, they have only been roughly processed, with little attempt to ensure the same limiting brightness. Neptune is, of course, the bright thing moving through the big triangle:D

Not sure I'm understanding you ... each frame of the animation is from one night, can add more frames (to add more nights) to make up the month ... each frame is a crop (2400x1600 pixels) of the original (3888x2592 pixels) picture taken on that night, so that they more or less match up, and the whole thing is reduced to 20% of its size to make it more manageable.

what i meant is, is the field of view of the original picture large enough to accommodate the position of the planet on the first day and its position in the last day of the project. asking this because i see it move quite a distance in the gif image here.

ok, just realized it was 5 days apart, so i guess there shouldn't be a problem if this is a cropped version. there should be enough space for 6x the movement in the gif image provided.

best of luck and clear skies.

OK, lots of cloudy nights, so any further imaging will produce a nasty "jump" in my animation, so have decided to quit while I am ahead(-sih).

Images taken from 5th/6th to 17th/18th. More work needed to stop some of the fainter stars coming in and out, but I am reasonably happy with this as a first attempt.

Archived