NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope wont focus

Well after receiving my new orionoptics 14 inch dob I was all set on the first clear night to see how it performs. Not a good night, the focusser has not enough play to actually focus on on anything distant. If I pull the eyepiece out of the focuser by about 1 cm then it will focus.

I am not happy :rolleyes:

Understandably. A quick fix for now is to take the lens out of your Barlow lens, and put that in the tube. This will usually give you enough reach with your focuser to allow you to focus. Obviously, you can also not put the ep all the way in.

For a more permanent fix, you might want to call the manufacturer or dealer and see what they say. Or hear from some of the younger and wiser heads on this forum.

The orion optics scopes need a 2" extender to allow focus for visual. The reason for this is to allow for the low profile focuser which gives the ability to focus more accessories. It's a design feature not a fault. As WH said you can make an extender by removing the element from a barlow and just using the tube. You can also buy 2" extenders to use in the focuser permantly.

Well after receiving my new orionoptics 14 inch dob I was all set on the first clear night to see how it performs. Not a good night, the focusser has not enough play to actually focus on on anything distant. If I pull the eyepiece out of the focuser by about 1 cm then it will focus.

I am not happy :rolleyes:

Jakey,

Sounds like you went for the Crayford...

If so, remove the screw that is used to block the focuser drawtube, thats theone closest to the tube.

I found out and somebody on CN confirm it that even if that screw is lose it could blok the last 1 cm outward travel. So it has to be removed or atleast further screwed out. Very strange!

That focusser has 4 cm of outward travel , if you only get 3 that will be the problem...tricky focusser you know....

I got a bad sample. The holes were badly drilled,one screw on top had no grip. The focuser itself could not lift my pan 24 and barlow nomatter how hard i tried to tighten it. So at the end i putted some rubber 'feet' on the spacers (or whatever it is) that supports the drawtube at the barrel with the knobs. But, suddendly it went a whole lot smoother and i got tension enough to lift al the eyepieces and barlows i could it to it, now it works fine.

The last dissapointment was that the 2inch to 1,25 inch adapter. The thing could not secure for some reason my pan 24...must be something with the inside ring, i dont know...This i replaced today with unfortunately rather expensive one,..from Televue. Better screw, much better tension...works really fine....

End of story

The better part : great views! blows my 6 inch out of the water and equals my 10 inch in lightgrasp and yet is sooooo leightweight and easy to handle....i am happy now.(I got an 8 inch F/4.5 on Vixen GP-E)

Hmmm, strange, then it is another case....

Perhaps you could try to move the mirror backwards by tightening the screws. I did that too ,John from OO told me that i would get aprrox 5-6 mm out of it. But i think the 14 inch will definately have another cell then my 8 inch...

I would contact John, which i did too, to know for sure what i could or could not do

Another simply solution is getting a extension tube or if you allready have one a bit of a larger one, it's standard on mine (at first i could not understand what that thing was doing in the packinging i received but soon it came clear.)

How much travel has your focusser,actually?

Well my soso Crayford has not more. I believe my skywatcher 2 incher has 4 or 5 cm. However my 6 incher has an 1,25 focusser and has lots of travel could be 8 cm or even more..

I think a extension tube should get rid of the problem...Was'nt one provided with the scope?

Archived