Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power advice please

I have just acquired a rather nice imaging system, thanks Shaun, and am trying to work out the best power/USB solution.

I intend to use it remotely from indoors using a laptop which I can remote desktop onto from my main computer and whilst away in the caravan.

I need to power an EQ6 and ATIK 16ic initially but want to add a couple of dew straps for the 80ed and ST80. The mount is around 2 amps and the camera .55amps so a 5amp transformer will be fine, but how many amps would two dew straps draw, would 5amp output be enough for all this?

I am hoping to keep the transformer inside and make up a 12v extension lead to go outside.

Then add two self powered 5m USB extension leads for the two cameras, will worry about the EQdir a bit later.

Any advice into what I am trying to achieve welcomed.

Hmmmm

Just checked the one I have :p:o

It's still got the Ozzie power plug so it didn't come from Maplin....

Its a:

Powertech Switching power supply

Model# HW868

CAT#MP-3470

Output: 12Vdc 8A(max)

I'd say the 5A would still be OK

Ken

Thanks Peter, looks just the job, is it necessary to have the dual output? I see they do a single output at 20amps too. Also I am guessing the 13.8v is not an issue, I believe that is the output of a healthy fully charged leisure battery anyway.

I had this leftover from a previous "hobby" RC ...

The Dual output is handy for me as i have two distribution boxes running of it one for the obs and one for the pier outside... its better to run them in parallel from the supply rather than daisy chain them...

The current display is quite handy .. great for checking the dew heater bands and the controllers working..

Yep 13.8V is the nominal output from a full Lead Acid Battery...

Peter...

Thanks Peter, looks like that is on the shopping list then, should have this all sorted out by about October :p

I plan to run a 12v cable outside with dual cig socket to power the camera and mount and the other channel to power a Dew heater controller. So in theory the only things getting damp will be the 12v side, but I guess a small ventilated plastic box should even minimise that.

I could even tap into the caravan 12v system when away so won't have to worry about tripping the 240v mains supply.

Use the thickest cable you can to minimise the voltage drops or run one cable for the dew heaters and another for the mount and camera supplies...

You can sometimes get problems where the pulsed currents drawn by the dewheaters cause voltage fluctuations which can upset the mount and camera...

Peter...

I use 2 x 20Ah gel cell batteries to run my NEQ6pro + three cameras + dew tape. These, with an electronic triple stage charger are well over three years old and still going strong.

(Simon: the HEQ5pro - both axis running at maximum slew speed takes less than 2A. I haven't measured or seen figures for the NEQ6, but I'd think they would be similar.)

Ken

Cheers guys, went for the ripmax in the end 50 quid is about the going rate for anything over 10amps, but what amp cabling? full 20amp or just a bit more than what I intend to run off the end of each output?

Run two seperate lines back to the two ouputs on the supply... and you will be fine with those...

What style power socket are you going to use to run stuff?

Peter...

But which amp cable of those?

power socket was going to be a cigar lighter socket with a dual socket adapter for mount and camera and the dew heaters going to the other cable on a single socket via a control box. I am assuming here that each appliance is fused through its male cigar plug.

Nothing too complicated or expensive, pointers would be appreciated, this is all not going to be permenantly setup just run out to the patio or as far as my 5m active USB leads allow.

The thickest you can afford ... :p

I buy 4 way adaptors and rewire them... they will normally have one high current output (for the ciggy lighter) and 3 lower ones .. I like the RING brand one with the traffic light style Voltage monitor on it...Tescos had them mispriced a few years ago selling them for £2.49 each... word got a round and they sold out rather quickly...

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Powering.html

Blutack comes into play with the cigar lighter (sorry aux power socket in these PC days) style plugs to stop them movign and losign connection...

Peter...

Archived