Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable HDD ??

this one seems really popular

Samsung S2 500GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

i have this one, which is nice and small and runs on USB power

Freecom 33576 Mob. Drive Classic II 320GB USB2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The 5900 are fine for storage and low res video, if you are looking for some to read/write fast for HD video I would go with the 7200

I have 4 USB HDDs attached to my laptop, different brands so probably different speeds, certainly opens up quickly any file that is clicked on. Like my laptop, speed has never been a thing I have looked at, I download/transfer very large files quickly and am happy with them.

Jim

Cheers for that guys, the only use will be for writing avi files from the cam & storing cos my lappy's HDD is tinsy wincy !! So I'm guessing it needs to be reasonably fast. I

Is there anyone using a portable HDD for doing this with a cam via a lappy??

Which cam Karlo? When my 5400RPM internal laptop drive wasn't keeping up with my DMK, I bought a new 7200 internal drive and put the spare 5400 in an enclosure to use as storage.

It seemed lot "neater" that way to me (if you can be bothered with the messing about opening the laptop up and cloning the original drive onto the new one).

How much HD space are you going to use in a session? It's very worthwhile to have a couple of good USB memory sticks of 16 gig or higher, I swear by integral brand.

Also, it would be a lot cheaper and better performance wise to just upgrade the HD in your lappy, it's REALLY easy to just clone the lappy drive and rewrite the image to your higher capacity replacement. I'd be happy to walk you through the process if you go for that option.

If you go for an external drive I've always preferred to build my own, just pick up a decent external caddy and then fit it with a western digital HD 7200 16 gig cache, I've used western dig for a looooong time, they perform, they're reliable and the rtb warranty is superb if anything goes wrong.

By far your best option here though is to upgrade the internal HD and also get a 16 gig mem stick as they are soooo useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Which cam Karlo? When my 5400RPM internal laptop drive wasn't keeping up with my DMK, I bought a new 7200 internal drive and put the spare 5400 in an enclosure to use as storage.

It seemed lot "neater" that way to me (if you can be bothered with the messing about opening the laptop up and cloning the original drive onto the new one).

I'll look into that Gaz

THouse, i wrote up almost 30GB !!

so clearly a partition of 35GB is cutting it close .

I think what bothers me about the prospect of swapping out the HDD for a fatter one ( :) ), is the fact that someone on UKAI recently tried to replace his HDD for an Acer Aspire ( HDD is partitioned into two parts ) and had blumming kittens trying to get the thing working again- and he was no slouch when it came to putas. The idea of then having to put the old one back in..... not good, I'd rather try a a fast 7200rpm external i think ?

Much easier to get hold of either norton ghost or driveimage, clone the existing drive and write that image to the new drive, then replace drive, you will then notice NO difference at all except more space, botth the above pieces of software are easy to use. basically just tick boxes and click go.

Archived