Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Mozaic (first 6 images)

carastro

I have stitched 6 images together to form a Mozaic which I will add to at a later date. I have also got a 7th image of plato which I took at the start of the session, but by the time I had done several images the terminator had moved a fair bit so there was no way of joining this on satisfactorily.

About 1 minute AVI for each of the 6 images.

Webcam & K3CCDtools, stacked in registax, CG5 GT mount using an ETX125 telescope.

I stitched them together manually in photoshop as I've not yet tried using any other software for this.

post-18809-133877466743_thumb.jpg

Agree, it's a good start... I think going back at a later date to add more is going to be very difficult. I aim to complete all the captures for a mosaic inside an hour as the moon changes very quickly (comparitively speaking) and aim for completing the terminator first, as this prevents the changing light affecting the end image.

Thanks guys:

did you use filters?

I'm glad you asked that question, as it's been a while sicne I used my webcam and completely forgot I had taken the IR filter off to use on my other camera.

So, this is without any filters. I couldn;t make out why it was so red, you should have seen the originals, they were rusty red.

I can't get on with wavelets, but have adjusted the colour in PS.

I think going back at a later date to add more is going to be very difficult. I aim to complete all the captures for a mosaic inside an hour as the moon changes very quickly (comparitively speaking) and aim for completing the terminator first, as this prevents the changing light affecting the end image.

I think you may be right. I've not tried to image this side of the Moon before, so a progressing terminator was not something I have encountered before, so yes, will do the terminator edge first next time.

Revised colour image attached.

Carole

post-18809-13387746677_thumb.jpg

Carole, you may find this helpful

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/104876-making-lunar-mosaic.html

Looks much better in a more natural colour... but I guess that's the effect of not having the IR filter... which I believe will also degrade the image somewhat too... (I could well be wrong on that, it's something I recall reading somewhere)... I've never tried without an IR filter on the webcam/qhy5v, I use it to keep dust out.

I'm far from an expert but John and his tutorial put me on the right track with lunar mosaicing. I agree re the pink needs to go, and I reckon playing with the wavelets in regi a bit more and then perhaps an unsharp mask in photoshop will get you more detail. Slightly overexposed too which is why your lighter sections are a bit washed out. Perhaps back the gain off a little on next attempt.

WcCtrl is very good to use as a webcam controler (not imager) as it allows you to set several profiles of gain/shutter speed etc, then you can experiment and find combinations that work for you.

Archived