NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing on Sark (Channel Islands)

boboco

Hi,

I just got back from holiday and spent a day of it on Sark (but unfortunately not the night). While I was there I noticed that they are planning on becoming the first island to get Dark Sky status (similar to a Dark Park).

So I wondered if anyone has spend the night there and has any comments on the quality of the sky?

There are some serious issues with getting large equipment (14" dob) over there (ferry from Guernsey looks like best, but it will be a bumpy ride both on sea and land as there are no roads) but I may try it out later this year - oct or nov (am happy to coordinate with anyone else who is interested).

Cheers,

Karl.

Hi,

I just got back from holiday and spent a day of it on Sark (but unfortunately not the night). While I was there I noticed that they are planning on becoming the first island to get Dark Sky status (similar to a Dark Park).

So I wondered if anyone has spend the night there and has any comments on the quality of the sky?

There are some serious issues with getting large equipment (14" dob) over there (ferry from Guernsey looks like best, but it will be a bumpy ride both on sea and land as there are no roads) but I may try it out later this year - oct or nov (am happy to coordinate with anyone else who is interested).

Cheers,

Karl.

Hi Karl

As i live in Guernsey i can help with questions you might etc.

Cheers

I have done a little research, and out of season is clearly the best time from getting some darkness, but it also puts up some challenges.

I had assumed that you can take a fast cat from Guernsey, but it seems thats only available from Jersey (50 mins). There are some smaller operators (and smaller slower boats), but there are further restrictions (25KG total luggage limit).

There is an option to charter a very small boat, but to be honest I don't fancy that with the seas around there (both from the likelihood of my chundering and from the impact on any equipment).

So will need to consider taking big bins (which is a disappointment). Or look at getting the scope freighted over (which is scary).

Anyone know what the typical autumn / winter weather is like? Joselin, would it be correct to assume its similar to Guernsey?

Anyway will keep digging.

Cheers,

Karl.

I have done a little research, and out of season is clearly the best time from getting some darkness, but it also puts up some challenges.

I had assumed that you can take a fast cat from Guernsey, but it seems thats only available from Jersey (50 mins). There are some smaller operators (and smaller slower boats), but there are further restrictions (25KG total luggage limit).

There is an option to charter a very small boat, but to be honest I don't fancy that with the seas around there (both from the likelihood of my chundering and from the impact on any equipment).

So will need to consider taking big bins (which is a disappointment). Or look at getting the scope freighted over (which is scary).

Anyone know what the typical autumn / winter weather is like? Joselin, would it be correct to assume its similar to Guernsey?

Anyway will keep digging.

Cheers,

Karl.

Hi Karl

This are the only you can use unless you want to go down the charter route.

The Official Web Page of Isle of Sark Shipping Company Ltd

You could also consider Herm, realistically it would be as dark as Sark.

Possibly cheaper Welcome to Herm Island

I'd also actually suggest you look at staying in Guernsey as an option; even though we are densely populated there are some rural areas that are quite dark sites and plenty of places to stay near by all along the south coast and esp. on the south west peninsular, there are plenty of common land sites.

There is also Liho Island which is accessed via a cause way at low tide but the ultimate in seclusion.

Lihou Island

p.s

try these guys for ideas http://www.astronomy.org.gg/observatory.htm

Archived