Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Pro Illuminated polarscope?

Hi folks - just a quick question,

Before I installed the goto upgrade on my EQ6 the polarscope illuminator thingy was controlled by a small dial on the side of the mount. However the upgrade doesn't have this dial. The wires from the illuminator LED attach to the new circuit board so I presume the illuminator can still be used - and seeing as there is no other control, is controlled from the handset.

So my question is... how? Can't find a mention of it anywhere :mad:

thanks,

Alex

From what I remember of my EQ6 Pro, it was illuminated everytime the mount was powered up. I don't remember there being any way of turning it off. But maybe someone who still owns such a mount can help and will be along soon.

Brinders

The latest versions have a menu option for controlling the polarscope - its under the menu options which control the handsets LED backlights apparently.

This has come up before. Personally I'd find a small rotary knob to be a better solution than messing about with the Synscan menus.

If the new controller PCB is revision 2.x* then you should be able to control the PA scope illuminator brightness via the handcontroller menu, so long as you're running handcontroller firmware version 3.25 or later.

The pre rev. 2 controller PCBs aren't compatible with the handcontroller's newer firmware options.

EQMOD will display the controller PCB rev. version you have, but if the PA scope illuminator option doesn't appear on your handcontroller menu even when flashed with the latest firmware it's a good indication you have an earlier, non-compatible PCB rev.

*Controller PCB rev. 2 not to be confused with handcontroller version 2.

Ahh cheers guys - found the menu option on the handset, also found (by removing the polarscope and looking up the hole) that even when on 100% brightness the LED is only just glowing (so dim in fact that in anything other than pitch darkness I couldn'ty even tell it was on at all!) Must be something a rubbish connection or something - I'll have a proper look tomorrow.

thanks again,

Alex

The LED will just about glow in daylight - you'll be amazed how bright that dim glow is at night believe me. When I turn mine down to almost nothing to the naked eye its still releatively bright when peering into the polarscope. Before jumping in give it a go in a dark room and see what you think.

the light is very hard to see in daylight, even if you cover the holes with your hand , but at night there is plenty of light to use it by, you don`t want to much light as you will wash out polaris and will find it harder to align

People complained about the very early models that shipped with faint LEDs, so Synta made them much brighter, which lead to more complaints, so the LEDs were dimmed again.

Eventually Synta included an LED brightness menu option with the later handcontroller flash updates (3.25 onwards), but, as already stated, that will only work with revision 2 controller boards.

If you are able to locate that menu option in your handcontroller it means you have the required rev. 2 control PCB. If you didn't, the menu option would not be available.

Ok cheers guys - just remembered it being a lot brighter before I did the upgrade, was almost like a torch shining out of the polarscope!

thanks for the help,

Alex

Archived