Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What type of bearing is required.

Doc

I need opinions guys....

Imagine a dobsonian scope, it only has one bearing on the altitude side of it. A shaft goes through the bearing, on one end of the shaft is a dovetail for the scope to be attached on the other end are threads and a handle.

What bearing is needed to adjust for tension and locking, the tension is produced by tightening and untightening a handle that in turn tightens/untightens against the bearing.

I hope I made this clear.

I'm thinking either taper roller bearing or thrust bearings.

Any ideas.

You want it as a clutch as well as a support bearing Mick?

I think the two will need to be separate entities, unless someone has a solution. A taper roller bearing can be tensioned to eliminate play, but some sort of fixed plate, faced with a tensionable clutch plate needs to be employed. The tension on the clutch can be applied by having a threaded shaft through the bearing, and fixed plate, then the clutch disc placed on the shaft, and a threaded wheel to apply the tensioning. The Dob. side supporting this weight, will by necessity, have to be robust.

A lot depends on weight of course.

Ron.

Any sites on the web guys that sell these clutches, or anymore info anywhere.

So just tightening a washer against a taper roller bearing isn't enough.

My thought was as long as the OTA is balanced correctly, a little tension applied to a taper roller bearing should be enough to stop it from moving.

I'll look up clutches.

The actual side support Ron is going to be made up of 40mm thick baltic pine, I know a friend who has some. Might even make the ground board from it.

The idea originally was to make it all from aluminium but the price is rather steep.

Mick, that scope is not going to be a heavyweight by a long chalk.

Using compression of the taper roller bearing will make a poor clutch in my opinion. If you applied a 1/4" thick felt pad disc to the side of the Dob. and got a disc of 1/4" Aluminium, machined to a polish finish, then place a compression spring between the polished ally, and the threaded wheel that will apply the tension, you will have a decent and smooth operating braking mechanism.

Felt, riding on Teflon is a smooth operator too.

I think something like 6" diameter will be OK. Keep the felt a lttle less diameter.

Just a suggestion Mick, you may get one that appeals more.

Ron.:mad:

Archived