Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which moon filter to get

Hi all, I am looking at the moon filters on FLO and deciding between the ND Baader filter and the variable polarising one. If I go for the Baader one, then which strength would people recommend for a 5" reflector. Looking to get into some lunar imaging. Thanks in advance.

I had a variable polarising filter and I sold it, I found it too awkward to work with. I would attach it to an eyepiece and then view the moon. If it wasn't right then the eyepiece was removed and the filter adjusted and back in the scope. I might end up doing this four or five times until it was right, it was so annoying.

I bought a pair of Antares ND filters, 13% and 25% second hand off astrobuysell, I have not got the chance to use them yet, but I know that they will be easier to operate than the variable filter.

Go for the Baader and go for either the 0.9 or the 1.8, the 3.0 will be too much.

Hope this helps.

Some people like a deep green (Wratten #58), I find this effective but prefer the deep red (Wratten #29) as it preserves dark adaptation.

If you really can't stand the deep colour then you need about ND 1.2 - 1.5, i.e. 6% to 3% transmission. 1.8 is too much except at low maginifications, 0.9 is usually not enough for my tastes.

Archived