Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am now the proud owner of a DMK21 mono cam (thanks FLO) and need some advice from the experts on settings/frame rates etc. Not having a clue where to start, I will be using the supplied IC Capture to start with, unless anyone has better ideas.

Thanks in advance

Martin

You can use IC Capture AS. It's very good, but sometimes it can crash. A solution to this may be pausing the recording and stoping it after few secods. There is also FireCapture that works great too - FireCapture

As for tips. You connect the cam, start IC Capture and ready to go...

- from top menu open settings box

- from top menu open video recording dialog

Those two boxes + live preview are the things you will use during imaging. In settings you change exposure time. Sometimes you can lower the gain (solar, lunar, or long exposure). Rest should be unchanged (for now).

In video recording there are some settings too. You can set there adding time and date to avi filename which is very handy later. Also you can set a prefix for avi to be recorded. I use this to mark which filter/focal ratio is used :eek:

For planets I usually catch 1200-1500 frames per channel and process that nearly automaticaly in castrator and autostakkert (planetary). To set good exposure time for each filter I use the histogram box in IC Capture. If the yellow part takes half histogram it's good (for planet). If the seeing is good I also try a series with longer exposure (less yellow), and if it's bad - bit lower (more yellow on the histogram)

AND NOTE: Set the camera to 30 FPS mode in IC Capture. Do not use the 60 FPS mode to avoide camera circular artifacts.

Archived