SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod advice needed

My old tripod is too rickety for 6kg of parallelogram mount and 2kg of bins. I need something that can take about 10kg of load, so I've got a bit of a margin -- and I can't afford amazing amounts of money, although it doesn't need to be completely bargain basement :-)

Any advice on models, makes, etc will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance -- Naomi

are you handy at all? you could make one very easily for that sort of thing as it does not need to be adjustable. you could then tailor it to suit your own needs. If you have and can handle a plane a saw and a drill it would be pretty easy for sure.

the other option is a pier in your garden. sink a 3-4" drainpipe into the ground and fill with concrete then make or find a plate to fix to the top and you have a pretty permanent mount - just add the P mount and bins and you are away.

No, sorry, can knit, sew, mend china, crochet, draw, model in clay ... but nothing that needs force and precision together, because of dodgy joints and also never learned that stuff when younger :-( Significant other can do that sort of stuff, but is so busy I'd be lucky to have it for Xmas, and I really need it last week ... but I'll note your suggestion for future reference, thanks.

N

Forgot to say, it needs to be mobile, not just for home, although I *could* get something put in the garden -- but judging by how long it's taking for the pond to be dug, I won't hold my breath ;-)

N

Forgot to say, it needs to be mobile, not just for home, although I *could* get something put in the garden -- but judging by how long it's taking for the pond to be dug, I won't hold my breath ;-)

N

ahhh so you have a typical relationship then :eek:

never mind - I do too (and I'm the one not getting round to things in my house).

where do you live?

most of the people on here are I fear from UK and therefore the number of suppliers known outside of UK would be lower.

might be worth looking on here

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I'm in Luxembourg - but the various brands and models are often available across Europe, and that's the sort of recommendation I'm hoping for ;-)

N

Archived