Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Software to identify objects in finder scope?

I was struggling last night to get what I wanted into my finder scope, not to mention the crick in my neck from trying to do so!

So I was wondering whether there is a cheapish and elegant solution? For example, I see that there are a number of apps around for iphone/android that help to identify the night sky.

Are there any software applications that will identify objects in the night sky based on an image of the sky? If there are I could hook a webcam up to my laptop, and rig the webcam up so it sees through the finder scope.

I've had a quick google, but couldn't see anything obvious so thought I'd see if anyone knows if such a piece of software exists?

Thanks!

After some further research, I guess what I am looking for is something similar to the Celestron Skyscout. But in my case I'd like it to be software based, and hooked up to a webcam via a laptop and provide real time (or as close to real time as possible) visual "overlays" of the night sky.

Does such a piece of sotware exist - paid for or otherwise?

Thanks

Think there is a web site that you download an image to and it tries to identify the patch of sky. Utterly useless to you.

Think about it: The software needs an image on something like a ccd chip. Then it need to know time, date, location and orientation of the finder scope.

A red star could be Arcturus or Aldebaran, or several others.

Guess that the Skyscout, or an iPhone app is the sensible option.

Could try an RDF and simply look with both eyes open.

Think there is a web site that you download an image to and it tries to identify the patch of sky. Utterly useless to you.

Think about it: The software needs an image on something like a ccd chip. Then it need to know time, date, location and orientation of the finder scope.

A red star could be Arcturus or Aldebaran, or several others.

Guess that the Skyscout, or an iPhone app is the sensible option.

Could try an RDF and simply look with both eyes open.

Thanks for your thoughts - I guess I'm just wanting too much :eek:

I think for the time being I'll be better off learning the sky a little more. Although your suggestion about using an RDF is a good one - I might give that a shot.

Thanks!

I use Stellarium with the Ocular plugin . This plugin gives a view similar to what you will see through the eyepiece you are using and makes it easier to identify the stars in view.

This can be used to compare the view from the scope with the Ocular view to identify the stars.

A good solution to the neck bending problem is a right angled finder. Skywatcher do a couple of sizes but I've found the Orion 9x50 right angled correct image (raci) finder to be the most suitable.

We also have a Sky Scout - they are great to introduce newbies to the sky and can be used to help finding stuff for a scope when you have no idea where to point. In some cases they can even be used as a finder. However they don't show what you'll actually see - they just point at stuff and dont even magnify. Still useful though.

Hope that helps. :eek:

Marsan and Brantuk many thanks for your suggestions! :eek:

The Orion 9x50 RACI does look nice..... I see it also had a mention in a review of my very own telescope:

Celestron Omni 127 - Review

So in combination with Capricorn's earlier suggestion, my plan of action is:

- Purchase an RDF

- Download Ocular plugin

At a later date purchase a RACI finder. This is mainly a cost issue, and I may find that the RDF and Ocular will be sufficient for the time being.

After a quick search for recommended RDFs on the forums, I've snapped up a KSON one for £8 from ebay which people seem to be happy with.

As an aside my mobile phone contract is up for renewal soon, and I've been considering an iphone. So I could also use something like this:

ScopeTeknix iPhone holder for telescopes

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

Archived