Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GEM and Counterweights...

Hi All,

A question thats been bugging me (quietly) for a while...

You know when you see GEM's listed as being able to carry weight X (for example, my EQ6 Pro is supposed to be rated at 26kgs) - does that include the counterweights?

Reason I ask is that whilst I was on hols, I took all my kit off and stored it inside (this is the 3 telescope setup btw) and it weighs in including camera at 17kgs. Of course, that doesn't include the counterweights, of which I have to use 4 to get it to balance.

Sooooo - does anyone know the proper answer?

Cheers,

Richie

Me too - as far as I know its exclusive of counterweights.

If you took for example the HEQ5 its stated capacity in 18kg but it comes with two weights weighting 10.2kg so if it was inlcusive of counterweights you would only be able to mount a scope weight less than 7.8kgs on it which wouldnt be much at all.

It's the weight of the scope etc, not the scope plus counterweights.

If your mount has a limit of 20kg, then you can put a 20kg scope on it, plus counterweights.

For imaging though, you shouldn't go much above half of this.

Cheers

Rob

Hmmm... Conflicting opinions...

Also - does one manufacturer quote one (to the better), and one to the worse?

I know I really ought to lighten the load on the EQ6 anyway - you should see the flex in the head when you quickly swing from one side to the other! It doesn't seem to affect it for imaging speeds though.

Oh for a heavier mount.... :) I think I would be hit hard though!

Cheers,

Richie

Sorry - my post may have been misleading. I believe the answer is the mounts capacity DOESNT include the weights so if the mount has a capacity of 18kg then thats the weight of the scope it can handle. The counterweights arent included so I think we're all in agreement so far :)

Archived