NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror clips and astigmatism

Prior to getting the 16" Light Bridge, my total experience with dobs was

1) using one for about an hour, and

2) taking a look through another one.

There aren't any clubs out here in the boonies where i can go for advice,

so here's the first of what will most likely be many, many noob questions. :D

It's been recommended that i loosen the mirror clips. There are three small black things on the outer edges of the mirror.. i'm assuming that's them. They feel like hexagonal screws (Allen screws?), and there are two of them for each clip, one above the other. If i understand correctly, all i need to do is aim the scope upwards, insert the right sized wrench, and loosen the screws till there's about (iirc) 1mm of space between the top of the clip and the mirror. Sounds simple enough, but i figured i'd check first.

Are there any little surprises i should be prepared for, like springs being launched, etc?

I'll try not drop anything on the mirror. :)

No nasty surprises. Check first before you loosen them, just slide a piece of paper between the mirror and the clip, if the paper goes in easy then in my experience thats plenty of a gap.

Archived